• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman rear sight ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I own a pair of 50 Caliber Lyman muzzle loaders. A Great Plains Rifle and a Trade Rifle. Both are pretty accurate.
But that back sight wobbles all over. Both rifles have the same sights . I don’t mind the buck horn style. But I need something that is solid. Any suggestions to point me in the right direction ? I don’t mind spending a few bucks to tighten up the groups.

If you are 50 or older you might want to consider going with a peep sight. A lot of us oldsters have found it's a good solution for aging eyes. If not , 2 shots suggestion should work fine. I've used a center punch for stipling and foil for shims.

I own a pair of 50 Caliber Lyman muzzle loaders. A Great Plains Rifle and a Trade Rifle. Both are pretty accurate.
But that back sight wobbles all over. Both rifles have the same sights . I don’t mind the buck horn style. But I need something that is solid. Any suggestions to point me in the right direction ? I don’t mind spending a few bucks to tighten up the groups.
On a GPR, I removed the little spring in the rear sight, reinstalled the screw. Screwed it down tight to make it a fixed sight. Had to shim one side. Applied red loc tite to the cross pin and the perimeter of the sight in the base. Works for me. I did need to lower the front sight height a little bit.

The Buckhorn sight on my GPR was loose. I didn’t realize how loose it was until I took it to the range. It nearly drove me bonkers until I started checking things. Come to find out, it was toast so I replaced it with a peep sight.

Last edited:
The Buckhorn sight on my GPR was loose. I didn’t realize how loose it was until I took it to the rang. It nearly drove me bonkers until I started checking things. Come to find out, it was toast so I replaced it with a peep sight.
I think I’ll put a peep sight on the Trade Rifle. On the GPR maybe take it apart and toss the spring and somehow make it solid. Thanks everyone for the ideas

I own several original GPR adjustable sights. I do not understand what could possibly be loose on them? If the dovetail is tight there should be no movement at all, period. The sight blade, screw etc is very tight with no movement on all of mine!!

Attachments

• GPR Adj Sight 2.JPG
    GPR Adj Sight 2.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 0
  • GPR Adj Sight 3.JPG
    GPR Adj Sight 3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
My gpr came with 2 sights in the box - one a fixed buckhorn, the other adjustable. Actually, both are pretty crude with sand cast finish evident. For me, buckhorns hide too much on the sides. The fixed sight/factory front sight shot low, but I really didn't want to file down that original front sight without a replacement available ...adjustable one's better, but not much.

My kit came with both sights also, the fixed sight was over filed and is too loose to use.
I’m hoping to find one. The other one works but doesn’t do the rifle justice.

I own several original GPR adjustable sights. I do not understand what could possibly be loose on them? If the dovetail is tight there should be no movement at all, period. The sight blade, screw etc is very tight with no movement on all of mine!!
Mine came apart internally and it wasn’t worth it to me to try to repair it. Replaced it with a peep anyway.

My gpr came with 2 sights in the box - one a fixed buckhorn, the other adjustable. Actually, both are pretty crude with sand cast finish evident. For me, buckhorns hide too much on the sides. The fixed sight/factory front sight shot low, but I really didn't want to file down that original front sight without a replacement available ...adjustable one's better, but not much.
Mine are Ok, they are rough cast, but a bit of filing,sanding fixes that. The buckhorns can be reshaped if needed. The adjustable ones I have work fine, but i just prefer fixed sights.

Back