• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another guy with double set trigger problems with a Lyman Great plains.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest Smith

32 Cal
Reaction score
I bought a used Lyman Great plains .54 cal. rifle, the front main trigger will not release the hammer, when pulled on it's lone. It works when the rear set-trigger is engaged and then the main front trigger will release the hammer to fall. Anyone direct me in the right direction to solve the problem?

Pull the trigger group to see if it’s been altered. Add a photo of the triggers both set and unset so we can better advise you.

Some photos

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpeg
    IMG_4114.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4108.jpeg
    IMG_4108.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4109.jpeg
    IMG_4109.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4111.jpeg
    IMG_4111.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Your triggers appear to be unaltered, next is are they setting at the right depth in the stock. When firmly in place the front trigger should only move a short way to engage the sear of the lock.

When these GPR triggers have this problem it's almost always about geometry. Phil has you on the right track.

I do need to check that, but usually in the kits from T/C and Lyman, they came pretty hard close to the right depth. But that is certainly something I will check over weekend and gives me another chance to see if I can make the magic work!

I did screw-in the adjustment screw for the main Spring. Doing this, allowed the "hook" in photo #3 to move down into place better.

I do need to check that, but usually in the kits from T/C and Lyman, they came pretty hard close to the right depth. But that is certainly something I will check over weekend and gives me another chance to see if I can make the magic work!

I did screw-in the adjustment screw for the main Spring. Doing this, allowed the "hook" in photo #3 to move down into place better.
Play with the triggers out of the gun,should give you a good idea on how they work. That back flat spring tension has a lot to do with the function of the lock.

I had to put a longer screw in mine to get it to work properly. I had a bunch of screws taken from computers and electronics and found one to fit. It was phillips head and plated so I stripped the plating and filed a slot.

Latest posts

Back