• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Perc. switch to Flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Do all I need to do to switch my GPR to a flinter is change the barrel and hamer?
seems like a cheap way of getting a Flinter..
WI

I really like the GPR and I really like flintlocks. I always think of the flintlock GPR, as somewhat like a modern car with a flat head Ford engine in it. It is historically correct with a percussion lock but not as a flintlock. If historical accuracy isn't an issue, I see the locks on eBay frequently. You'll end up with a lot of money in the conversion and inexpensive flintlocks aren't the most fun in the world. The L&R lock might be better.

I've heard but can't confirm, that one can modify the Lyman breech from percussion to flint. If so, you wouldn't necesarilly need a new barrel, unless you still want to revert to percussion. Perhaps someonelse here can comment from first hand knowledge.
You'd certainly need a new lock, wheather Lyman or the L&R replacement lock, which is probably better.
But, sure, you can build a total "switch-gun", both flint and percussion with interchangable locks and barrels in various calibers if you like, even smoothbores.
But, I also have to second Swampman, the style of gun is just all wrong for a flint, much less a smoothbore.
Heck, if versatility is an issue, you can't beat the H&R "Handyrifles". Centerfire rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders all on one frame. But they just ain't real muzzleloaders even when wearing a muzzleloading barrel. And a flint lock or smoothebore barrel on a late plainsrifle stock just ain't real neither, to my way uh thinkin. :grin:

Just get another gun.Simplier and one cann't have too many! :grin:

I swear I thought that Lyman used a "Patten" breech, if that's the case then you'd have to at least change breech plugs to convert to flint. If you'd like a different caliber then your cap lock then this would be a good way to get it. Just pick up a "drop in" barrel for the Lyman in flintlock in the new caliber that you want and get a lock and it'd be an easy swap. Especially if the new barrel came set up with sights, thimbles, ect. I guess the ol' drum n' nipples aren't as good as a patten breech but in the easy of conversion they're much easier. Good luck.

You are right, the Lyman rifles do have a paten breech, but I think someone on this forum said they just ground off the nipple bolster and were left with a small hole in just the right location to install a flint vent liner. Haven't tried that myself, but switching both barrels and locks seems more attractive.
I'm no fan of paten breeches as they are very difficult to properly clean and dry in the field. I just obtained a percussion rifle from a friend who does not pull his barrels to clean. The bore looked fine but after pulling the nipple and clean out screw I found the flash channel block by fouling. Dug it all loose with a small drill bit and put the muzzle to my mouth and blew HARD. The only result was that my ears popped! I screwed a .22 bore brush on the cleaning rod, ran that into the paten breech and it came out loaded with black goo. I then gave the barrel a good hot water cleaning, the only way to really clean a paten breech and even then I recomend a small bore brush to fit the powder chamber and a pipe cleaner through the flash channel.
I much prefer a plain flatfaced breech plug. Paten breeches are stronger, if you're interested in how much powder it takes to blow up your gun, but that is their only advantage, in all other ways they suck. :grin:

Greeting Coyote Joe,

Now you know why I alway use the "flush tube" method of cleaning my patent breech rifles. My perference of cleaners is Black Solve, but (don't tell anybody) I have used warm soapy water in the field when hunting under primitive conditions for an extended time.

Of course, I quit hunting some years back, so now use only Black Solve.

Anyway, I never have or have had any ignition problems with any of my patent breech rifles.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Absolutely John, I presently have several rifles with patent breeches, flint and percussion, and one can learn to live with it. However, if I had my druthers, I druther live without patent breechs. :grin:
Flush tubes work great on percussions but tend to be leaky on flinters. I really appreciate the convenience of half-stocks with hook breeches, but those are mostly patent breeches too.
AHH, what is a poor, lazy, old fart to do? :(

Latest posts

Back