• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR or Traditions...Penn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a couple of Lyman GPR rifles and they are dandies. I surely do hope that GoodCheer can hook you up with the guy who has the Lyman .54 GPR rifle for sale. Half price for a rifle like that will be a very good deal. Jump on it. :thumbsup:

As for quality, you can't go wrong with either choice, I've serviced many of both and have owned the Traditions for over 30 years now with no complaints and more than a few trophies.
The only problem most people have with the Traditions Pennsylvania Rifle is the comb of that big "Roman Nose" type buttstock, it doesn't leave much for cheek room.

Smokey Plainsman said:
Yep, I heard enough about the objectionable stock geometry of the Traditions Pennsylvania to steer clear of it.

This can be fixed, I simply shaved a bit off the cheek piece and reset the star-in-a-circle inlays refinished and it fits like a glove ever since.

Also, we are built differently. A rifle that might fit me well may be a cheek slapper for you or the other way around. The only way to tell is to handle one.

Yep. Guns gotta fit. Handle em and shoot em first if possible. Most production guns r made for the infamous "average person" so not much difference in LoP. Never owned either but shot against many a GPR. Started w a TC Hawken in '73 was a little short but usable. Going from zero, of the 2 mentioned I would go w the GPR.

Kansas Jake said:
Also, we are built differently. A rifle that might fit me well may be a cheek slapper for you or the other way around. The only way to tell is to handle one.

Could not have said it better myself !
:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

bull3540 said:
GoodCheer said:
saintbubba said:
Hi all,
Buddy took me out to the range and we shot his Lyman
Per cap GPR in .50 cal and I had a blast. He told me I should look for the same rifle but I am having a hard time finding anybody who has them in stock in non-kit form. I was wondering if the Traditions brand is in the same class quality wise, they seem more abundant. I have seen search results that claim Traditions brand rifles could be defective and even dangerous when used properly. I couldn't tell if that was old news or just plain B.S.
Thanks,
Bubba

In the last day or so I discussed with a fellow a GPR he had for sale for dang near half price. I was tempted to get it but held off due to other projects. Well, that and it being a right hand and me being a lefty. I've sent him a link to this thread to establish a connection in case he wishes to pursue the matter.
It's a percussion .54. The .54 balances better than the .50, my two cent opinion.
I second that, having owned several GPR's, one in 50 cal the rest in .54. Definitely get the .54 if I had to do it over. You might also want to look at the Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 as your entry level rifle.

I owned a Lyman .54 GPR in percussion. It was the best factory rifle I ever had and fun to shoot, accurate, and easy to load and clean with its deep groove rifling. I have never shot a Traditions. Good luck with whatever you choose. - John

I currently have a Lyman GPH percussion, only because I got it slightly used for under $400. I love it but mostly fire conicals although it also does well with round ball at lower speeds.

I've had CVA and TC rifles in the past and they are really good shooters.

If what you want is to plink and hunt then the Traditions are just as good as anything else. In fact I have been looking at a Traditions to start with flintlocks.

Depends on what you mean is "better".

I've had CVA/Traditions, T/C and Lyman.

If all you care about is shooting ability then any will do the job. How accurate is mostly you figuring out what shoots best out of your gun as all seem to be a little bit different as far as load, bullet/ball, patch/wad, lube, etc. A Traditions can out shoot a Lyman (or Pedersoli) if you do your job.

I like my current Lyman GPH just because of the shape of the fore end tip. Makes it look less clunky to me. And, it has the faster twist barrel, which is what I was looking for.

But, I would not pass up any of the others.

Pedersoli, Lyman quality has gone south, read posts about them in the last several years.

Hadn't heard that Richard. I'm just going by the GPRs & the occasional Pedersoli Mortimer that show up at monthly get togethers. 'Course those have been around a while.

I didn't care for the few Traditions products I've handled. Like some other things they may have higher and lower grade products.
TC

40 Flint said:
Hadn't heard that Richard. I'm just going by the GPRs & the occasional Pedersoli Mortimer that show up at monthly get togethers. 'Course those have been around a while.

I didn't care for the few Traditions products I've handled. Like some other things they may have higher and lower grade products.
TC

I bought a GPR 50 Flint to shoot in Phoenix, nice rifle, after getting it, the posts here on GPR's were very negative. After reading here, I would not buy one unless I could go through a stores inventory and select one.

Mortimer, Ronnie White in Pasadena had them, wish I bought one.

Mike Powasnik in League City carried Pedersoli, I spent hours going through his Tryons to get mine, exceptional wood and a winner in the silhouette matches, places in Brady and is a winner there, state champion.

I found a Pedersoli Kodiak from Trail Guns, League City, with P+3 wood, appears to be un-fired, it has a new home now.

When I shot in Pasadena, very few GPR's on the line which were winners, mainly T/C's with GM barrels.

Ralph Miller was one of my mentors, he taught me well and how to win.

Back