• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR Cracked Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy Rod Man! If you do try and use an air compressor to blow epoxy into that crack in your stock, use no more than about 6 to 8 lbs. of air pressure, or you'll blow all the epoxy back out of the crack. I tried to fix a crack in the top of an expensive guitar a while back and did just that with the compressor set at about 40 to 50 lbs. The crack wasn't repaired! I asked a luthier what I had done wrong. TOO much pressure. I redid it set to the recommended lower pressure and all went well!
Also, FYI, Brownells has been out of most sizes of AcraGlas Gel for a few months now.

Howdy Rod Man! If you do try and use an air compressor to blow epoxy into that crack in your stock, use no more than about 6 to 8 lbs. of air pressure, or you'll blow all the epoxy back out of the crack. I tried to fix a crack in the top of an expensive guitar a while back and did just that with the compressor set at about 40 to 50 lbs. The crack wasn't repaired! I asked a luthier what I had done wrong. TOO much pressure. I redid it set to the recommended lower pressure and all went well!
Also, FYI, Brownells has been out of most sizes of AcraGlas Gel for a few months now.

Thanks for the heads up!!! Yeah, I noticed that. Seems like anything firearms related is hit or miss.

Thanks again!

RM

I had/have a Left Hand GPR that fell over and cracked the stock. Lyman gave me a price for it which I thought was outrageous. The girl asked me if I had called their repair shop, Dixion Muzzleloading Shop I had not. She gave me the number and I called them their cost was almost $100 less. I had to mail them the whole rifle. They hand fitted every thing in the new stock, which was better than the original fit. NOW I did have to put the finish on the stock once I got it, but it was well worth it. So try calling calling them. They are in eastern PA. DANNY

I had/have a Left Hand GPR that fell over and cracked the stock. Lyman gave me a price for it which I thought was outrageous. The girl asked me if I had called their repair shop, Dixion Muzzleloading Shop I had not. She gave me the number and I called them their cost was almost $100 less. I had to mail them the whole rifle. They hand fitted every thing in the new stock, which was better than the original fit. NOW I did have to put the finish on the stock once I got it, but it was well worth it. So try calling calling them. They are in eastern PA. DANNY

Good idea, I would not mind an unfinished stock.

Thanks!

RM

If you run a screw down in the stock across that crack, I don't know how it could get worse. It stops at the lock bolt hole.I do not have Idaho Rons exepertise but I have probably fixed a half dozen TC stocks that way and never had them get worse.That crack as most people know is super common on the early TC's. They did fix the issue on the later guns. Just don't over tighten the lock bolt.

So yesterday I was practicing some off hand shooting with my new (2 months) Investarms Lyman GPR in .54. The day was going well, was laying'em in there petty tight with 90 grs of 2F Goex, CCI #11's. Set my rifle down on the table went down range to paste up the target walked back to the table and dang if I didn't notice crack in the stock. Called Lyman this morning and of course they don't have any Left handed stocks on hand, but they put the order in and at some point they will send me one. Has anybody else had this happen? Now days there is no telling how long of a wait I am in for. So, I got a .50 with a Hunter barrel at the gun shop on consignment was thinking of pulling it off the shelf and using that stock to keep shooting. Any of you Lyman peeps see a problem with that?, or am I going to have to modify it to where it might cause problems later for getting the .50 back together with the new stock comes in? Also, with the replacement stock will I most like need to do some fitting or are they pretty much plug and play.

Thoughts?

RM

This Sucks.

View attachment 123607
A few years back, on a routine visit to Dixon's, I noted they had quite a few GPR stocks sitting in a wooden rack at the back of the store. I asked why so many, and they said they were an authorized repair shop for the Lyman's. (I don't believe that to be the case any longer.) So I guess these were all stocks that had been replaced for maybe similar defects. BTW, in the early 2000's, I decided I wanted a Lefty .54 Perc. GPR, those specs specifically. Without calling ahead, I drove up to Dixon's, on a whim, and walked in; there on the rack was exactly the GPR I wanted; I believe it was the late Chuck Dixon that wrote my order up! I later heavily re-worked and 'de-farbed' it, even having the bbl. shortened a bit by my gunsmith. Good luck with your repair! Thanks for posting.

We have not seen the crack your dealing with but some varieties of epoxies are capable of making sound & good looking repairs to just about any type of cracked stock issue.
Tips for not familiar with making stock repairs, some of the newer epoxies are made water-thin so they can penetrate into the deepest of cracks while others have an almost putty consistency for surface repairs & can be tinted to match the color of your wood. Placing masking tape close along sides of the repair site makes final finish of the repair site easier.

I repaired a cracked stock on my Marlin 357 lever action that was cracked at the tang area. I used a small, thin screw driver to slightly open the crack then drizzled in thin CA glue. CA is Cyanoacrylate is just a fancy name for Super Glue. I also build RC model planes and use a lot of that type of glue. And the grade I buy is way better than the stuff at the grocery store.

Anyway after I ran the glue in the crack I clamped it for 30 minutes and it was repaired. I wrapped the wood with surgical tubing for a clamp. That was in 1992. Its still just as good as new. Marlin sent a new stock but it didn't really match the forend so its saved back just in case I really break the stock.

Just for fun here are some photos of a rifle that cracked and broke and the owner repaired the stock with rawhide and a separate plate over the lockplate. To me this gun looks more authentic than some of the actual guns from the 19th century. It belongs to a poster over on the high road forum. I can't remember his name. I think this was a Santa Fe Hawken made by Uberti. There is one still for sale on here.

Attachments

• Hawken 1.JPG
    Hawken 1.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken 2.JPG
    Hawken 2.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken 3.JPG
    Hawken 3.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken 4.JPG
    Hawken 4.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Hawken 5.JPG
    Hawken 5.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
I repaired a cracked stock on my Marlin 357 lever action that was cracked at the tang area. I used a small, thin screw driver to slightly open the crack then drizzled in thin CA glue. CA is Cyanoacrylate is just a fancy name for Super Glue. I also build RC model planes and use a lot of that type of glue. And the grade I buy is way better than the stuff at the grocery store.

Anyway after I ran the glue in the crack I clamped it for 30 minutes and it was repaired. I wrapped the wood with surgical tubing for a clamp. That was in 1992. Its still just as good as new. Marlin sent a new stock but it didn't really match the forend so its saved back just in case I really break the stock.
This is what I did to repair a shotgun and rifle stock. I used Woodcraft Store thin CA that is supposed to be formulated for wood. It worked great and is almost invisible.

The 'supply train' problem? Wonder is it's made in China?

I have a similar crack on my Hawkins. Been there for years. Fill soaked it with industrial super glue and no problems.

Back