• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GP 50 cal and RB diameter you use

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going to a simple novelty shoot next week. Just a few matches, but they are having cap lock and flint matches. My SIL shoots a Lyman caplock and I shoot a home build flintlock. Since there are only a few matches why dirty two guns each? We are just going to swap rifles to keep the clean up less. Here is the question: I shoot .495 in my Rice barrel with .020 patch. SIL shoots .490 with .018 patch. When swapping guns, do we need to swap RBs too? I would think not, but am asking if any of the members here shoot .495 RB in their Lyman GP with a .018 to .020 patch?
Thanks in advance

If that's what the rifles shoot the best then stay with it.

Why put a ball/patch combo that works in one barrel into a different barrel that has proven to shoot a different ball/patch combo well? You may not even be able to push the Rice ball/patch down the Lyman barrel. Have you tried? Why would you expect the different ball to shoot well or even to the same point of aim?

1.Why put a ball/patch combo that works in one barrel into a different barrel that has proven to shoot a different ball/patch combo well? You may not even 2. be able to push the Rice ball/patch down the Lyman barrel. Have you tried? Why would you expect the different ball to shoot well or even to the same point of aim?
1. This range is back into the timbers over a creek on a walk bridge. (no cars or trucks) I am 76 years old and don't need to carry two sizes of balls that one can't determine the size by sight. I am trying to keep it simple, and this is just a low key shoot. If someone else shoots .495 RBs in their Lyman, 2. I know that I can load it with no issues.

1. This range is back into the timbers over a creek on a walk bridge. (no cars or trucks) I am 76 years old and don't need to carry two sizes of balls that one can't determine the size by sight. I am trying to keep it simple, and this is just a low key shoot. If someone else shoots .495 RBs in their Lyman, 2. I know that I can load it with no issues.
It would be nice if a manufacture can make all the barrels the same. They can't. Every muzzleloader should have it's own load specific to that gun.

Back