• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman .50 cal Great Plains pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been shooting my Lyman Great Plains pistol in .50 caliber a good bit lately, in between range trips with a percussion revolver. I have to say, the vast majority of recreational shooting I do these days is with some type of blackpowder firearm.
I decided to try my hand at making some paper cartridges for this pistol. These are simple in construction being made from hair rolling papers, a little glue and some cotton thread. You can actually reload fairly quickly with them. I simply tear the powder end off, pour the it down the barrel, and then stuff the rest of the paper and ball on top. Cap it and fire. Accuracy wasn't spectacular but we were easily hitting near center on a 3/4 steel silhouette at 20 or so yards.
With a .015 patch lubed with Ballistol, a .490 round ball and 30 grains of FFG it shoots very well. The photo of the gun and steel target was shot one handed at 20 yards for 5 rounds of the ball and patch load. I really need to fire it from a rest and see just how accurate it can be when held steady. 8 inch steel plates at 20 yards are also easily taken down with this gun.

Attachments

• Lyman Great Plains pistol June 2022.jpg
    Lyman Great Plains pistol June 2022.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Lyman 50 Great Plains pistol with cartridges.jpg
    Lyman 50 Great Plains pistol with cartridges.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 0
I have been shooting my Lyman Great Plains pistol in .50 caliber a good bit lately, in between range trips with a percussion revolver. I have to say, the vast majority of recreational shooting I do these days is with some type of blackpowder firearm.
I decided to try my hand at making some paper cartridges for this pistol. These are simple in construction being made from hair rolling papers, a little glue and some cotton thread. You can actually reload fairly quickly with them. I simply tear the powder end off, pour the it down the barrel, and then stuff the rest of the paper and ball on top. Cap it and fire. Accuracy wasn't spectacular but we were easily hitting near center on a 3/4 steel silhouette at 20 or so yards.
With a .015 patch lubed with Ballistol, a .490 round ball and 30 grains of FFG it shoots very well. The photo of the gun and steel target was shot one handed at 20 yards for 5 rounds of the ball and patch load. I really need to fire it from a rest and see just how accurate it can be when held steady. 8 inch steel plates at 20 yards are also easily taken down with this gun.
Sounds like great fun! Double wide 'rolling papers' for "cigarettes" also work, I think? Are the hair salon papers thicker or stronger than tobacco rolling papers? Thanks.

I've been wanting one but I know so little about. them. I think it would be great while out hunting with my GPR. Are the pretty much authentic as is? Do you load them just like a rifle with prb? What if you loaded it with say 50 grains?

I've made paper cartridges for my .54 Plains Pistol with .530 balls wrapped in .010 patches sized for .60-80 caliber. They load easy and accuracy may not be match grade but they shoot tight to 50 yards

I've been wanting one but I know so little about. them. I think it would be great while out hunting with my GPR. Are the pretty much authentic as is? Do you load them just like a rifle with prb? What if you loaded it with say 50 grains?
Yes the load just like a rifle does. But 50 grains in a 50 cal will be over what Lyman recommends. You also stand a chance of cracking the stock. 20 to 30 is a good load for all around shooting.

These are interesting guns especially when guys customize them by making the more authentic looking.

Latest posts

Back