• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubricating barrel for storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder Lube hasn't allowed any problems to occur when my MLers haven't been touched for 3 yrs. It's also good for dry and chapped hands.....Fred

Valley Forge said:
I use Ballistol, lots and lots of it.

But I am a little worried that some of you have not found it to be a good rust prevent-er. Is that the general consensus, or the unfortunate experience of just a few?

Ballistol works great for me - cleaning AND bore protection. I use the aerosol version quite a bit, but straight Ballistol for long term (3 months or more).

Wow, looks like a few options are available, thanks guys. I'm going to see if I can get hold of one of my uncles also and see if they remember what my grandfather used for inside the barrel because I ran a cleaning patch down hte barrel and barely got anything, just a little bit of black stuff but very little. Whatever he used works well because I know for a fact that these guns have not been fired for at least 20 years. I'll let you know what he used if one of my uncles remember.

Thanks again for all the input! :thumbsup:

Dixie Flinter said:
Valley Forge said:
I use Ballistol, lots and lots of it.

But I am a little worried that some of you have not found it to be a good rust prevent-er. Is that the general consensus, or the unfortunate experience of just a few?

Ballistol works great for me - cleaning AND bore protection. I use the aerosol version quite a bit, but straight Ballistol for long term (3 months or more).

Sounds like experiment time again. I have a hunk of sawn off barrel somewhere. If I find it Ballistol will get the test for rust protection.
My experience has shown (me) it is not an effective protectant. But others seem to believe it is good for that. First disagreement ever here. :bull: :rotf:
I'll report back on this 'test' someday in the future.

I have some "RIG" and have used it. I also like "Tap Magic" cutting fluid..Type "F" tranny fluid and plain old clean motor oil.I experiment with lots of stuff, but these I have mentioned seem to work the best. Just make sure you flush and swab out the bore with carb cleaner, brake clean or alcohol,before ya load it up.

I've seen test's of long term protection,
And Ballistol failed miserably.
But for the life of me I can't find a link to it,,
I know it's great stuff for common lube and short term, but for long term, No Way.
The stuff is made to mix with water,,
The humidity in the air, is water. So it might work fine in Arizona, but it'll never do the job here in Minn.

Thanks for those links. My proposed test is a non-starter. The hunk of barrel I have has been sitting on a shelf in an open box for nine years. The shop is really an under-house garage. Before that it kicked around in my boxes of various 'stuff' for years in various humidity and temp.conditions.
It is a Douglas barrel, .50 cal.
Guess wat? :confused: With no protection on it, it is not rusty. A few spots here and there but otherwise OK.
And, from that we can conclude :idunno:

Billnpatti said:
I find that Birchwood-Casey's Barricade works for me. Some of my muzzleloading rifles may not get shot for over a year at a time. Barricade keeps them rust-free. I find grease unnecessary and a messy thing to clean up when I am ready to shoot one of my rifles. Barricade is easily removed with 2 or 3 patches moistened with cigarette lighter fluid or charcoal lighter fluid and then followed with a couple dry patches.

I second that. Great stuff for storage. :thumbsup:

Has anyone had any experience with sperm whale oil! I just acquired an old bottle from an unopened original case of 48. I think that this bottle was labeled for sewing machines, but have recollection an article in one of this summers issue of ML mag. that claimed it was good as a lubricant, and also for patching round balls. Any info appreciated.

Sperm whale oil is a very good lubricant for firearms but it seems to me to be a shame to use it as such.

One could call it a priceless treasure!

Not only is no more of it being collected but it is illegal to try to sell it.

This link is about a guy who found some of it and tried to sell it on E-bay for $40 per ounce. He pleaded guilty and was fined $2000.

http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/releases2004/jun04/noaa04-r150.html

Zonie,

Fortunatly this case of oil was acquired long years ago,and was recently auctioned off(less one bottle), thanks for the link. It seems that no matter how old and original an item is, someone wants to restrict its ownership. Although I do agree that today's ban on the trade is warrented.

Eezox is the best rust inhibitor I've ever used. And it's as good a penetrating oil/solvent as anything I've ever used too. And I like the smell.

Back