• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubricating barrel for storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering what the best oil or lubrication to use for the barrel when storing it for long periods of time? I was told that I should use grease so the inside of the barrel will not rust over time. I plan on shooting these rifles when I have the time but I would like to know how to store them properly when the time comes.

If it is going to be a month or more I do use greese. I use carb cleaner after patching out all I can and I get good ignition. One thing that I find that helps in going back after three or four days and oil or grease the barrel again. Geo. T.

I use the old standby G.I. gun oil or "three in one" oil . Then before shooting I was it out with a few alcohol soaked patches. :idunno:

ohio ramrod said:
I use the old standby G.I. gun oil or "three in one" oil . Then before shooting I wash it out with a few alcohol soaked patches. :idunno:

I may have plagerized this from old Ohio R here but this is EXACTLY what I do and it has served me quit well.

Do you have modern guns?
What do you use with those?

Thumb said:
I was wondering what the best oil or lubrication to use for the barrel when storing it for long periods of time?
A good bet for storage of guns is kinda simple.
Gun Oil.

The only trick with the ML's is that they be clean and dry (because we use water for cleaning)
and;
Petroleum oils don't mix well with burning powder.
The key is to remove all traces, of said gun oil or other petroleum storage oils before you shoot the next time.
A simple matter really, just take the time to do it, :wink:

Yes, I have all sorts of modern guns and use "gun oil" :grin:

Only reason I was asking about the ML was because of a few things

1. They use Black Powder
2. You clean them with water. Who would have thunk that?
3. They are old so maybe the material is not as good
4. I was told to use grease which is something new to me.

I find that Birchwood-Casey's Barricade works for me. Some of my muzzleloading rifles may not get shot for over a year at a time. Barricade keeps them rust-free. I find grease unnecessary and a messy thing to clean up when I am ready to shoot one of my rifles. Barricade is easily removed with 2 or 3 patches moistened with cigarette lighter fluid or charcoal lighter fluid and then followed with a couple dry patches.

Hoppes 9 Lubricating Oil is a favorite of mine for locks an triggers an such, and for storage on a typical basis.
If I'm putting something away for the season it's LPS II.

You'll see and hear all kinds of "Hoodoo" and "Mojo" an olde secret ways an methods associated with Black Powder rifles.
The truth is, they get really dirty-really fast and because of that, they require attentive cleaning.
They need plenty of water(with a little soap) to rinse away the salts and hygroscopic fouling of the powder and caps. Then the metals need to be dryed well, then the bare clean metal needs to be protected from the environment,,(oil),, and a good oil that'll stick.

Billnpatti said:
I find that Birchwood-Casey's Barricade works for me. Some of my muzzleloading rifles may not get shot for over a year at a time. Barricade keeps them rust-free. I find grease unnecessary and a messy thing to clean up when I am ready to shoot one of my rifles. Barricade is easily removed with 2 or 3 patches moistened with cigarette lighter fluid or charcoal lighter fluid and then followed with a couple dry patches.
+ 1 on using Barricade.

I use PB Blaster for barrel oil and ig or Honda High Temprature grease. It does not take much! Geo. T.

I use Ballistol oil to clean my bores and when storing my guns. Like Ohio Ramrod, I also wipe my bore with Alcohol before I shoot.

I picked up on what ole Ned Roberts used on his muzzle loaders that met the test of time (stored over 10 years). He used RIG grease. I have used RIG for many years and find it works well. Never any rust problems and it cleans up with just a couple of dry patches swabbed down bore before shooting. Ned wrote the book "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle" way back in the 1940's. His experience's go back well into the mid 19th century.

Two lubricants are used on my MLers...."Wonder Lube 1000" for the bores and all outside surfaces, including the stock and and a high temp bearing grease for the locks. Have stored MLers for 3 yrs w/ "Wonder Lube" w/o a hint of rust, inside or outside and the cleanup is so simple....run a wire brush down the bore and then a patch and then wipe off the outside.I also use "Wonder Lube" for PRBs.

The problem w/ thinner lubes is that they react to gravity and collect in the lowest spots...whether the MLers are stored horizontally or vertically. "Wonder Lube" stays put because it's waxy and really the most important reason for lubing is to prevent the moisture in the air from contacting the surfaces of metal parts......Fred

ohio ramrod said:
I use the old standby G.I. gun oil or "three in one" oil . Then before shooting I was it out with a few alcohol soaked patches. :idunno:

I use knight oil, but other wise the same deal.

For short term storage, WD-40 has performed excellently for me. Been using it for 40+ years. Longer term, I use RIG most of the time. But almost any grease or good oil will work just fine. Don't be scared off by that 'petroleum' nonsense. Swab and shoot, you will be fine.
Have heard good reports about Barricade but, in my area, non of the six local gun shops has even heard of it.
BTW, Ballistol has not shown, to me, to be a rust preventative.

I use Ballistol, lots and lots of it.

But I am a little worried that some of you have not found it to be a good rust prevent-er. Is that the general consensus, or the unfortunate experience of just a few?

Valley Forge said:
I use Ballistol, lots and lots of it.

But I am a little worried that some of you have not found it to be a good rust prevent-er. Is that the general consensus, or the unfortunate experience of just a few?

VF, I bought my first Ballistol just a few months ago. Since I had never used it I paid particular attention to it's qualities. As a lubricant I have never found anything to match it. It made the bolt on my suppository rifle function smoother than I knew possible. Same with other things I used it on. It's cleaning qualties are something surprising also. After completely cleaning one of my ml rifles I ran a patch down the bore with Ballistol and it brought up more black stuff. Much to my surprise. :shocked2:
I coated the bore of one of my ml rifles with it after cleaning and put in the gun safe until the following months regular club shoot. Prior to loading I ran a spit patch down the bore and brought up considerable rust. :( Other items I have tried to (test) protect with Ballistol also rusted. This, being winter, our local, and my house, air is pretty dry, plus I use a dessicant in the safe, but the items still rusted. I do not trust Ballistol to protect my guns, tools, or anything from rust. But, I do love it as a lubricant and cleaner.

Back