• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubricant for Fiber Cushion Wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the preferred method for lubricating the dry 1/2 “ fiber cushion wads? I remember reading about it somewhere but I cant seem to find it. I tried to buy the pre lubed 20 gauge cushion wads but they are sold out at several places.
Thanks for any input

What is the preferred method for lubricating the dry 1/2 “ fiber cushion wads? I remember reading about it somewhere but I cant seem to find it. I tried to buy the pre lubed 20 gauge cushion wads but they are sold out at several places.
Thanks for any input
A little confused.....
Pre-lubed fiber cushion wads?
I've seen prelubed felt wads (I wouldn't buy them though, patches and wadding are better lubed by the end user) but can't recall seeing fiber wads pre-lubed.
The only time I see fiber cushion wads being lubed is for the Skychief Load anyway,,,,, in which case they are most often soaked in olive oil.

Where in your load do you plan to use the cushion wad?

I plan on trying the Skychief load. They do sell wonder lube pre conditioned overshot fiber wads at RMC OX-YOKE. I thought they might be a little more convenient.
How long do you soak them in olive oil?

The day before I shoot them, I stand my 20 gauge fiber cushion wads upright in an Altoids Mints tin, as many as will fit. Then I take a squeeze bottle full of jojoba oil and place one drop of oil on the top end of each wad. After they soak overnight, they're good to go. Too much oil and you risk contaminating the powder charge. Don't ask how I know.

The day before I shoot them, I stand my 20 gauge fiber cushion wads upright in an Altoids Mints tin, as many as will fit. Then I take a squeeze bottle full of jojoba oil and place one drop of oil on the top end of each wad. After they soak overnight, they're good to go. Too much oil and you risk contaminating the powder charge. Don't ask how I know.
That sounds easy enough! Thanks

If trying SkyChief load, soak dry unlubed wads in olive, canola, peanut, or corn oil till refusal (ie-wads don't soak up anymore). Wads need to be dripping wet for the SkyChief load.

I plan on trying the Skychief load. They do sell wonder lube pre conditioned overshot fiber wads at RMC OX-YOKE. I thought they might be a little more convenient.
How long do you soak them in olive oil?
Skip the "wonder-lube" 🙄

Nothing more scientific than soak them in olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, etc,,, any liquid vegetable oil should suffice but olive oil was used historically for gun related stuff,,, they called it sweet oil. Soak them until they won't absorb more. They should increase in weight significantly. I've not had an issue with a saturated cushion wad on top of thin card, shot, nitro card,,,,, contaminate my powder,,,, but I guess some have.
The biggest issue with the soaked wads is that they will eventually soften and deteriorate of left too long. So don't soak a lot of them at any one time.

@Brokennock said-

"The biggest issue with the soaked wads is that they will eventually soften and deteriorate of left too long. So don't soak a lot of them at any one time."

This is very true. Only soak what you need for the shooting session or hunt.

I buy my wool felt from Durafelt and punch out my own wads. I used olive oil in the past, but I like the Wonder Lude better. RMC Ox-Yoke is a great vendor, I should have mentioned them.

I'll chime in with the Olive oil crowd. I don't rightly know how much they really take up though as I drop a handful into a plastic sandwich bag and pour a little oil in there. I have in the past had what I figured to be too much as it squeezes out a little when I push down with the ramrod on it. I've never had a misfire though due to this as it doesn't stay loaded for long eradicating ground squirrels around here. This post did me thinking a little bit about if I can be doing things better.

I'll chime in with the Olive oil crowd. I don't rightly know how much they really take up though as I drop a handful into a plastic sandwich bag and pour a little oil in there. I have in the past had what I figured to be too much as it squeezes out a little when I push down with the ramrod on it. I've never had a misfire though due to this as it doesn't stay loaded for long eradicating ground squirrels around here. This post did me thinking a little bit about if I can be doing things better.
Yup, if you make a mess when you push one into the muzzle, you have enough, lol.
I wrap a rag around the muzzle when I put the lubed cushion wad in.

Latest posts

Back