• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre load jitters 12 gage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just rec’ed a Pedersoli coach 12 gage yesterday and got the pre-load jitters. I have watched many videos and come to conclusion there ain’t no standard method of load. I have Circle Fly Wads and the recommended method of load is 1. powder/ 2. over powder card(1/8” nitro card)/3. fiber wad/ 4.shot/ 5. Over shot wad (thin white card) My concern using this method is the overshot card (white) sufficient to hold adjacent barrel shot in place during recoil?

The white card does not appear to me the best device to keep shot from being dislodged in opposite barrel. My salt water infested brain is telling me to cut the thick fiber wad in half and go with a load of powder/ over powder card/ ½ of fiber wad/ shot/ ½ half of fiber wad/ white overshot card.

Anyway rather than take someone’s time writing out a procedure I would appreciate a call if someone is willing to PM me for my phone number.

NOTE: About the gun. I was quite amazed at the quality and appearance of this coach gun. This is not my first gun (that was 4 safes ago) but I feel it rates a comment for appearance. Jury still out on functionality as have not shot yet. Thanks in advance. Jerry

Attachments

• BPshotgun.jpg
    BPshotgun.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 2
I owned a 12 ga coach gun like yours for years until a friend talked me out of it. Yes they are really good looking, easy to carry and quite efficient. I even shot some clays with mine. I can't recall the exact load I used but (I think) like it may have been 1. op wad. 2. 1/8" lubed FELT wad. 3. shot. 4. an overshot card wad. The only thing I was concerned about was when first barrel was fired would the load in the second barrel move. Never did but I recommend running the rod down the second barrel if you think you need to.

Thanks for info. I think I will measure other barrel after firing 1st barrel. Will do more than once to get warm fuzzy. I shudder at the 'pipe bomb' if the other barrel load shifts. Thanks again

I have two doubles. A navy arms 12 and an original Belgian 16. I use a couple cards over powder and a couple over shot. Never had the second load move that I’ve noticed. I just stick with using cards or jute Tow over powder or shot. Never felt the need to use all the complicated loading methods. If your cards are tight going down I don’t think there will be an issue. Mine are tight and you can hear the whoosh of air coming out of the nipple as I ram them down. Sometimes I have to go slow to let the air escape as I seat them.

I've been just using sheep's wool over powder and shot lately. Only been shooting my singles though and haven't tried it in the double yet. Works great so far. I get it on ebay fairly reasonably priced.

I use the thin white over-shot cards and haven't experienced any movement in the unfired barrel. No harm putting two or three on top of the shot. A friend licks the white card and then "sticks" another one to it and shoves them down to the shot. He says they hold together that way. Neither of us have had an issue in many hundreds of shots.

That's a new question for me. Been shooting M/L shotguns for 50 years, mostly sorta duplicating old paper shotshell loads using Alcan "feltan bluestereak" wads and factory overshot card wads. Never worried, and just for fun have used paper wasps's nests. 30 plus years, almost all were with originals (some of dubious quality, admittedly). No problemo, amigo.

As long as each component is tight and fully seated, you're good. Have fun!

I've never had a load shift using that same loading technique. I do check once in a while with the rod and have never had my load shift. I've seen others in the YT world use 2 over shot cards but I only use the one. I think you'd have to be busting through some very nasty terrain to dislodge a load but like I said never had it happen by shooting one barrel.

Good stuff! To the OP, i bought my wife a Pedersoli coach gun last year and i’m toying with taking it out and showing it to some bunnies - wasn’t sure how to load it so this post is a real help. Thanks to all!

Here, bunny bunny! Looky what i got!

don

I have two double barreled muzzle loading 12 gauge shotguns. A CVA side by side and a lovely Beretta over and under. I load just as you described to begin with. I have shot many Geese and Huns with the CVA and Pheasant and trap with the Beretta. I have never had the over shot card move. It is OK to experiment with different types of wades and wading. Pattern test your loads and see which ones you shotgun likes.
Even with heavy goose loads using steel shot cups and steel or tungsten shot I have never had the overshot card slip or move forward. Just make sure you have the right size components.
Old Shepherd

Just a heads up: I rec’ed some ¼-28 musket nipples today and replaced the percussion nipples on my coach gun. I popped both barrels and I powder burnt my left wrist when lighting off L barrel. The robust musket caps do send a spark. Maybe it was a good idea I did not think through. Not sure if I will switch back to percussion or use fingerless gloves. Oh well. Jerry

Just a heads up: I rec’ed some ¼-28 musket nipples today and replaced the percussion nipples on my coach gun. I popped both barrels and I powder burnt my left wrist when lighting off L barrel. The robust musket caps do send a spark. Maybe it was a good idea I did not think through. Not sure if I will switch back to percussion or use fingerless gloves. Oh well. Jerry
My ArmiSport CS Richmond will burn my left hand every time, to the point where I changed my hold on the rifle. It must be the hammer, or something but all the cap blast just goes down into the stock. Just how it is I guess

One overshot card is enough for the recoil of the firing barrel. One thing to consider is that same pressure that is difficult to overcome pushing the card into the barrel will also keep the over shot card from moving forward and would suck the card back over the shot. That is why I don’t notch the overshot card to make it easier to load, like I’ve heard some people do. If you push it down until the pressure builds up and then pull back really quick, the card will flip a little like a butterfly valve and release the pressure. One good reason to use a wad is they often have some sort of lube in them like wax, that will keep the fouling a little softer and make re-loading just a little easier. Make sure you get a metal range rod. I broke my Pedersoli ram rod and injured my hand. If I’m hunting I use a Delrin rod that I purchased from Track of the Wolf. If you really want to use a wooden rod get help in person or a least get a straight grained rod from a craftsman.

Latest posts

Back