• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiem52

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Are their any pre lubed patches that work in hot and cold weather,,what about Teflon ?

Are you using them hunting, informal target shooting or for shoots like at Friendship? The thing that I found about the store bought pre-lubed patches is that they can be old and will not hold up sometimes when shooting them. A lot of people use the Teflon patches in competition but you do have to wipe after every shot. You will just have to try out what works for YOU, Just because Bill over there is shooting 9's an 10's with Teflon, your rifle may only shoot 8's an 9's. Just sayin'. An just to mention a few lubes, there's Mink Oil, Jojoba oil, Liquid Wrench, Olive Oil an bees wax, deer tallow an bees wax, an store bought Bore Butter. Any one of these may let your rifle shoot the scores or groups you want.

ah ha! ... there are as many secret recipies as there are shooters, and the variants of moose snot are myriad...

I like the mink oil from track, although the ballistol works well (see Dutch Schoultz' system - -if you don't have a copy, you should get one right away - -here's a link:

http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

this will give you a boatload of good information and will shrink your groups)

good luck, and make good smoke!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mink oil from track of the wolf, Bore butter/wonder lube, Leigh high patch lube and Dutch's system all have done well for me. Yes, by all means use a good grade of gun oil in the bore when you are done.

I've concluded that often the amount of lube on a patch is more important than the lube itself. One of the reasons that awful Ballistol stuff seems to work so well is that the patch is pretty much dry.

When you buy pre-lubed patches, they are heavily soaked with lube.

I use a mix of beeswax and tallow, occasionally olive oil and crisco, and have a tin of Mink Oil. All produce identical results on my targets.

The big secret seems to be to soak your patches in your favorite blend, then squeegee them out with a square blade on a putty knife to remove all the excess.

I've got a lifetime supply of tallow, and whether I mix it with olive oil, beeswax, crisco, mink oil, or whatever is at hand, I'm satisfied that I'll get the same results from all of them.

soak your patches

No, no. :nono:
Waste of lube and time and completely unnecessary.
The lube needs to be only on the side of the patch touching the bore. Soaking is a complete waste.
I make my lube into a cake and save in plastic tubbies. To lube, I wash and dry new cloth (I use pillow ticking) then lay out and rub with the lube. I rub on the light side. That way I can remember which side is lube.
tickinglube.jpg
[/URL][/img]

If I use a solid or paste lube on my patches, which I seldom do any more, I fold them and either put them in the microwave for a few seconds or put them between several folds of news paper and use an iron on them to melt the lube into the fabric. It seems to make more evenly distributed and the patches seem to be more equally lubed when I do this. Now, I more often use a spit patch when I am target shooting than any kind of grease or oil. I have all but given up hunting because of physical limitations due to age but when I hunted, I used the patches that I greased like I described and I cut them at the muzzle. There are so many different ways to do a simple thing like lube a patch. It boggles the mind. But, different strokes for different folks. Whatever works for ya.

Rifleman1776 said:
soak your patches

The lube needs to be only on the side of the patch touching the bore. Soaking is a complete waste.
I make my lube into a cake and save in plastic tubbies. To lube, I wash and dry new cloth (I use pillow ticking) then lay out and rub with the lube. I rub on the light side. That way I can remember which side is lube.
I disagree. Thoroughly impregnating the patches would be the only way to ensure the even distribution of lube. The material can only hold so much lube, and any excess would remain on the surface. Merely rubbing it on the surface (and only one side, at that) would lead to far greater uncertainty in lubing. Remember, the lube serves 2 major purposes - to lube the barrel AND to make the material less resistant to gas blow-through/blow-by.

Black Hand said:
Rifleman1776 said:
soak your patches

I disagree. Thoroughly impregnating the patches would be the only way to ensure the even distribution of lube. The material can only hold so much lube, and any excess would remain on the surface. Merely rubbing it on the surface (and only one side, at that) would lead to far greater uncertainty in lubing. Remember, the lube serves 2 major purposes - to lube the barrel AND to make the material less resistant to gas blow-through/blow-by.

Can't agree. But do yer own thang and enjoy.

Back