• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Teflon patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were real popular in the 80's. The friendship paperpunchers really liked it. The down side is you have to clean after every shot. I have some of it out in my workshop. Just for a keepsake I guess

This is the old style Teflon coated pillow ticking
The Teflon is sprayed on. Francis Sansoucie used make it and sell it.

Attachments

• 20240320_121559.jpg
    20240320_121559.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
First 'invented' by Webb Terry a long time champion at Friendship. I was with him when he first experimented with it. Results were lower velocity but great accuracy. He sold it commercially for years. I tried it but went back to more traditional lubes. Might still have a hunk in my piles of 'stuff'.

For its intended purpose, to achieve the highest level of precision possible ( tightest groups) it absolutely works. Yes, every shot requires wiping the bore before loading the next shot and even that is not as simple as spitting on a piece of fabric cut out of an old T-shirt and calling it good. All the usual load development issues apply. In other words, it’s not “ magic”. You gotta do the work IF you require the very best out of your rifle. My 50 cal. rifle for that kind of shooting performs best with a thicker patch, .020-.022- compressed, a .500 ball and a solid brass range rod to load that tight combination. When I used Teflon coated patch material, it was only for shooting from a rest. My offhand proficiency wasn’t at a level where it would make a difference. Shooting off a rest however, from 50-60 yards ( I was shooting 60 yd “ Chunk” competition) a “ one hole group” is a minimum requirement. Once you get reliable performance at that minimum level it’s all about how small that one hole is going to be. The last time I bought Teflon coated patch material it was considerably more expensive than anything else out there. ($35.00 per yard iirc). I was eventually able to use our friend Dutch’s “ Dry Patch” method to get similar results and haven’t tried finding a current supply of Teflon material.

Useless is a relative term. A competition shooter sees a big difference between 10 and 10x
Always a question of what is accurate. A squirrel head is about the size of a 9 ring on a fifty yard target.
A Hunter has Ol’ Never Miss and is more then happy with his shooter, while the expert on paper cry’s if he doesn’t cloverleaf on the x.
I prefer to stay traditional with my loads, but even that statement is a fantasy
Shoot what you like and what works for you, and it will be the best.

Webb was obsessed with accuracy. He developed this product as part of that quest. He didn't need the money. "useless" is an opinion.
Was he one if the bench shooters that had a torque setup on his bench rod so the pressure on the rammed ball was the same everytime? I remember Francis talking about it

Was he one if the bench shooters that had a torque setup on his bench rod so the pressure on the rammed ball was the same everytime? I remember Francis talking about it
I don't recall Webb doing that. But some of the slug gun shooters were crazy innovative with gadgets and gizzies they believed would help them be more accurate. I did see more than one contraption that, supposedly, seated the bullet (they don't use prb) with the same force each time they loaded.

I don't recall Webb doing that. But some of the slug gun shooters were crazy innovative with gadgets and gizzies they believed would help them be more accurate. I did see more than one contraption that, supposedly, seated the bullet (they don't use prb) with the same force each time they loaded.
Yeah I think it was slug gun shooters.

Latest posts

Back