• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loyalist arms Dublin Castle 1724?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone here aquired one of these, I am thinking about getting one and was hoping someone could tell me how accurate to the originals they are. I want to get a Brown Bess correct for a F&I soldier and one that would also fit the bill for early Revolutionary War.

I have a 1769 2nd model bess , lock marked "dublin castle" from military heritage . they are $559.00 us(they are loacated in canada).it shoots good and I like its weight.93/4 lbs. the stock is not walnut but rose wood .the brown red wood sometimes found on guitar necks(finger boards)I am very happy with it and the people there though rather busy always have time for me . :thumbsup:

From what I have read, these are more correct than other later ptions. The later 2nd model would have been quite new production for Rev War and unlikely to have been handed out to loyalist militias. I think that your suggestion is better if you do not mind the extra weight and length.

Also consider what your fellow re-enactors have. My buds all had 2nd models, so I went with that.

CS

I'm suprised it doesn't weigh a lot more with a rosewood stock, that's dense heavy stuff...sure must be pretty.

Rat

Hawk:

I was all set to order a 2nd model Brown Bess from Military Heritage last week, but they are sold out until end of April. Robert Henderson was very helpful and I still plan to buy it when it becomes available.

What powders and ball size do you recommend?

RSC,I mostly use it for hunting deer, moose and black bear. in very thick bush,50yrds is a very long shot. the last moose I encountered was under 25 feet. The powder load I use is 110 grs of ff and beleive it or not a .69cal rb in a moose spit patch,with tc lube,I like the smell better than bear grease!
I also find it alittle front heavy but its not that noticeable when leveled at large game. :thumbsup:

The chioce was simple I have a ball mold for .77cal to big, the next one was .69cal and Ihave two moose hides with split about 50 some sqr feet. The hunt'n season opened about the same time bess arrived undersizeball & oversize patch,as luck would have it bess grouped tight , moose go down. I haven't given up on .715 or .735 balls the molds just haven't found me yet. "if it aint broke.... ".

I am looking at a 1728 Brown Bess Musketoon from Loyalist. How are their (loyalist)locks? Soft? Can a new lock be added? thanks

Bob , The lock is sound ,highly polished and tight. The springs are strong making it nice and fast . The frizzen is cyanide casehardened. It is very good to flint,I only used one all last season ,its easier on flint than my TC and even some of my original locks. Mine is marked Dublin Castle and I'm told it depicts a lock from 1769.Before I bought mine I to was skeptical about "Indian" stuff and with good reason. But a lot of good U.S companies are going off shore with their lines(Gibson,Fender,Browning...)they must have some confidense in the workmanship to put their name on it.Or maybe it's a manure shoot and I lucked out.The castings that they use are from original locks at Parks Canada.(the canadian version of the smithsonium) :imo:

Here's a picture of my Bess from Military Heritage:

bess.jpg

A.H , How's the mainspring in your lock? Did you drill the vent your self ? What do you think about the wood they used for the stock? Hawk2

The spring is very strong which makes for fast ignition and good spark, as you said.

I did drill the vent myself. Was very easy.

I like the wood. It's very pretty. I just wish they would have been more careful and detailed at the finishing touches. I am refinishing it as we speak. The finish was a bit dull in places and ther were a few hardly noticable chips in the finish near one of the barrel pins and the trigger guard. It's looking even better with each coat of tru-oil.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their other models. I plan on getting a 1728 or Charleville next.

All Hell:

Can you give any tips on drilling the vent? What bit size, where to drill, how deep, straight or angled?

I'm planning on getting this flintlock when their next shipment arrives.

You might wanta call Loyalist Arms. I think their rifles come with the vent hole already drilled.

I just went straight in right at the top level of the pan with a 1/16th inch bit. It touches off very fast.

Make sure you make your indent with a pin punch so you don't scratch it before you drill.

Latest posts

Back