• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loose Wedge Pin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellas, I have a Browning Mountain Rifle (50cal) with a loose rear barrel wedge pin...how do I tight it up. Every time I fire it, the pin pops half out. Thanks

1911tex said:
Fellas, I have a Browning Mountain Rifle (50cal) with a loose rear barrel wedge pin...how do I tight it up. Every time I fire it, the pin pops half out. Thanks
Firstly - terminology:
It is either a wedge or a pin.

Secondly:
Take the wedge out and place it over the partially-opened jaws of a vice and using a hammer, give it a slight bend. Re-insert (bend downwards) and it should snug everything up and hold the wedge in place.

I like to determine where the wedge is the most loose, either in the wedgeplates (escutcheons), or in the tennon, and go from there. If there is more play in the wedgeplates, then bending it down like Blackhand described is best. If the tennon seems to be where the majority of the slop occurs, then peen the tennon to tighten the fit of the wedge. Might need a combination of the two methods. Good luck. Bill

I have found on a few occasions that the holes are not quite centered in the wedge escutcheons. Removing and turning them around (side to side or even rotated 180 in place, has once or twice changed the geometry of the hole and they snugged up.

To me it's easier than filing the escutcheon holes or peening the tenon, and the first option I check! :grin:

Well duh, I would have never thought of that. So obvious I would go right past it. Maybe cuz I make my own escutcheons and they are always symetrical. Good advice Rusty and something I will remember. :thumbsup: Bill

Truth be told, I figured it out by happenstance. Ya see, I put a Mt. Pistol back together after some woodwork, and the wedge would not fit right! But I didnt take any wood from that area. :confused: Took about 20 minutes of looking at the holes and tenon thru the stock, when I saw one was a little high on the lip.

So I spun it upside down. And it worked! :doh:

Like this, Gently, until it stays put;

HPIM0787.jpg

I use a piece of pine, a railroad spike and a mallet.
The wedge is the easily adjustable and replaceable component, therefore I tune it.

The wedge, or pin, must have some slop around room. I'm not a fan of hammering the tennon to tighten things up.
IMHO, the more better way to tighten a loose wedge is to simply lay a couple small strips of thin leather in the bottom channel. I have two, match winning TCs I have done this with. Same strips in there for 40+ years.
I'm a fan of the KISS principal. :thumbsup:

Rifleman1776 said:
I'm not a fan of hammering the tennon to tighten things up.
Why?
You mean to say the part that should fit properly with the wedge needs to be ignored and some kind of aftermarket modification that doesn't belong in a barrel channel should be added instead?
Why not fix the rifle?
Can you explain why the tennon and wedge should not fit together as they are meant too?

Many rifles are match winners, your rifles did not win these, and the rifles that did have the tennons and wedges fitting without anything added to the barrel channel, imagine that? A barrel and stock and wedges and tennons,,, all working together as they should. who'd a thunk it?

HPIM0698.jpg

It's like an amazing thing, a factory rifle fixed to have it's parts working together almost like a custom build!!?

Back