• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loose Front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splais

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After hanging on the wall for 15 years I took my .54 Hawken out to shoot. That part went fine; but when I got home I found that the front sight was loose in the dovetail. Years and years ago I had the sight changed when I put a tang sight set on her. From looking at it, I have no idea what was suppose to hold it tight.

Can someone help? thanks.

Slickest, easiest and least painful way I've tried it to use a small punch to dimple the bottom of the dovetail on the sight. This raises the metal a little around the craters, which is often enough to take up the slack.

If you don't like the sound of that or if it doesn't take up enough slack, I've also used a large flat punch to peen the dovetail down either side of the site, thinning it a little but spreading it at the same time. Go too far and you might have to file a bit to fit, but it works.

What holds it tight is the press fit required to overcome the interference of the sights material and the barrels material.

That's why doing as BrownBear suggested and displacing some of the sights or barrels material so that it interferes with the other part works.

Another way is to use a small steel hammer and lightly tap the sharp edges of the sights dovetail.
That will raise the material on either side of the sharp edge and this raised material will interfere with the dovetail in the barrel.

Note that the suggestions usually envolve working on the sight. That is because it is relatively inexpensive to replace a sight if you goof it up but it is very costly to have to replace a goofed up barrel. :)

One other way is to cut a small shim and place under the sight,this will tighten it up . some sights will come apart if peaned on too harsh.If you don't have any shimstock,you can cut one out of a tin can.

Back