• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front sight fix

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wanted to share, as it might help someone else out.

I have an antique rifle that was missing the front sight when I purchased it. It is a ~7/16” dovetail that is ~1/16” deep. I couldn’t find a replacement sight close to those dimensions anywhere. Everything was either too small or too thick.

One evening browsing TOTW’s website, I saw their brass barrel tenons and was struck with an idea.

After some filing and fitting, I think it turned out alright! There will be further filing/shaping when I sight the rifle in. It turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

4B6F0FDE-1CE5-4F07-B354-6CA5E33DE5B1.jpeg17F1EC93-0759-40EB-9AC3-A52296ACAC97.jpeg

Just wanted to share, as it might help someone else out.

I have an antique rifle that was missing the front sight when I purchased it. It is a ~7/16” dovetail that is ~1/16” deep. I couldn’t find a replacement sight close to those dimensions anywhere. Everything was either too small or too thick.

One evening browsing TOTW’s website, I saw their brass barrel tenons and was struck with an idea.

After some filing and fitting, I think it turned out alright! There will be further filing/shaping when I sight the rifle in. It turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

View attachment 267800View attachment 267801
Nice job friend! Where theres a will there is a way. Where I come from we call that, "working out of a hollow"!

Latest posts

Back