• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looks like i got burned

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modern ammunition for most of the common calibers is reasonably plentiful right now but the prices are still high for most. Cheapest 9mm I have seen is $14.95 a box which is $5 over what you could get it for just three years ago around here. .45 ACP is $30 a box and was $19 a box three years ago. Many other pistol and rifle rounds are $1.50 to $3.50 a round. What with the war in Ukrain and our military and Nato stock piles low, the emphasis is going to be meeting government contracts for ammunition. Brass, primers, caps, powder, bullets, lead, and such will probably be low priority for civilian consumption by manufacturers for quite some time. This could go on for years as things stand now. Add in the gun and ammunition laws being passed in some states. Plan for it.

Last edited:
Modern ammunition for most of the common calibers is reasonably plentiful right now but the prices are still high for most. Cheapest 9mm I have seen is $14.95 a box which is $5 over what you could get it for just three years ago around here. Many other pistol and rifle rounds are $1.50 to $3.50 a round. What with the war in Ukrain and our military and Nato stock piles low, the emphasis is going to be meeting government contracts for ammunition. Brass, primers, caps, powder, bullets, lead, and such will probably be low priority for civilian consumption by manufacturers for quite some time. This could go on for years as things stand now. Plan for it and deal with it.
Natchez has free shipping on bulk 9mm .24 a round.

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
This is like the 4th or fith time ive read " i have no problem getting caps".
With all due respect, how does that help us newbies?
Yes, some of us just heard about BP and cap and ball pistols.
We dont all start from the same place.
2 days ago I went to Dunham's and they had about 2 dozen on the shelf for $14.95@. Then I went to L B Toneys Alamo Gun Shop. A local gun shop in Dubois, Pa. He had several cases of all sizes on hand. $18.98@. He also has Swiss BP, $38.50 a pound. Here's his phone info. Call him and see if he'll mail you some. He's a good guy.

L B Toneys Alamo Gunshop

www.lbtoneycompany.com
153 BEAVER Dr, Dubois, PA 15801 ·
(814) 375-9974

This is what this forum is for. To share info and help each other out. Semper Fi.

I should send a pic of my caps and powder to my daughter and tell her that I LITERALLY burning through her inheritance! 🤪
My kids inheritance, they like seeing the old man having fun.

Attachments

• IMG_2044.jpeg
    IMG_2044.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1430.jpeg
    IMG_1430.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
It has been said before, but it bears repeating:

There are a ton of fake web sites out there now that claim to sell black powder shooting supplies.

If they claim to have Goex powder in stock, it's probably a scam. They have not yet resumed production.

If they have no limit on the number of items you can buy, it might be a scam.

If they don't accept credit cards, it's probably a scam.

If they only accept Zelle, Venmo, or PayPal "Friends and Family", or any other "no recourse" method of payment, it's probably a scam.

One thing about states making stupid laws is it creates a whole black market . CA folks cleanout border states LGS shelves to resell on instate black market. In OR there's no sales tax and sales are really brisk. Local shop says its great and becoming a staple income. Caps, Powder and primers don't last long.

I was just at Bass Pro. They had Remington #11 caps for 14.00 per 100. I said no way.
Hate to tell you, its the new normal. Keep waiting for price to come down, about the same time gas hits $1.50 a gallon.
Guess you not interested in shooting.
I looking for a nice small caliber rifle. Got any for sale since you getting out of the sport.

Hate to tell you, its the new normal. Keep waiting for price to come down, about the same time gas hits $1.50 a gallon.
Guess you not interested in shooting.
I looking for a nice small caliber rifle. Got any for sale since you getting out of the sport.
I got a thousand or so, and I make my own also. I won’t be selling anything anytime soon! Didn’t say I was getting out of the sport. I also occasionally make my own black powder. I also have other guns with lots and lots of ammo. Just reporting to others what I saw when I was out and about. But thanks anyway!

I always stocked up on things that I knew would be needed. When the BP Bug struck I stocked up on primers and powder but my shooting friends didn't. That created a problem when I started keeping my stock from them. The same thing happened with modern reloading supplies got short, everyone wanted my stock.
I solved that problem years ago. I just don't have friends...

I ordered a cap maker by ***edited*** and i ordered 750 RWS caps from another place that never got sent.
I am getting a bitter taste dealing eith all of this bull****.
No wonder this here genre is dying.
In this market, if you don't do due diligence to determine whether a business advertising products as "in stock", when all the regular outfits are "not in stock", is actually a business, you almost deserve to get a hard lesson. I can't tell you how many so-called "Ammo Supply" places are actually scams. I work hard at identifying a physical address and have learned that google earth is my friend. So many of them look like a double wide in the woods it will make you sick! If they don't take a credit card, or want you to use Zelle or other money transfer system, run, don't walk away. They ARE a SCAM. Don't feel bad, I got burned on some .32-40 brass a year or so ago... I got a PM saying they had a "friend that had the brass I was searching for..." Once they got my money order, the silence was deafening! Shoulda asked for pictures... Oh well... live & learn.
"No second place" said to ask fishing guys how much they pay per fish. I'm making his point - hobbies like ours, shooting, hunting, fishing - they're just expensive! Now that I think about the boat and all the broken gear - I'm not sure a hundred bucks a pound for catching fresh salmon will even cover it!!
My late wife, bless her accountant soul, once calculated what venison cost me... I had to remind her that my buckskins were thrown in free! No can win, the couch is a lonely place!

I'm in Québec, Canada and had to buy a tin of 100 CCI #11 for 21$ canadian free shipping taxes included but from Calgary. Took about a week to get them to my door but at least I have some.
If other canadians see the price as being good for them, now you know where they are available.

Bass Pro always has some on the shelf.

Where it belongs.
Pyrodex and Triple 7 has been available around here too some extent pretty much all along. Real black powder was what disappeared completely. Could pick up some black powder at an occaisional gunshow but that was it.

I still shoot, but sold my snowmobile. It got to the point where the guys I rode with just wanted ride from 1 gin mill to another, or sit on a frozen lake and drink beer all day. Thousands of dollars on equipment as an excuse to drink, no thanks.

Everything has gone up in price, flints cost more, cartridge ammo costs more, cereal costs more, gas.....
Buy a dual sport dirt bike instead, like I did. It only cost me a little over 7,000 out the door and I can ride it every day of the year here in Florida.

But I guess if you throw in that $3,000 for those two screws I now have in my ankle....lol.

It was my own fault but let's just say a dirt bike can hurt you. But I still had fun that day.

Back