• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for thoughts on fowlers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Vatt

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, I've decided to make the splurge and get a more appropriate fowler that fits the bill as a capable hunting gun and also fits the personna of a mid 18th century Pa. settler/militiaman. I'm not real confident I can do the build myself. I have done some kits and reworking of damaged guns in the past, but that was quite a while ago. The Chambers RK-9 kit is tempting, but like I said...confidence is holding me back. Anyone have thoughts on gunmakers who would finish a fowler that would fit this niche?

If you don't mind a trade gun from the era then NorthStar West might be a good place to look also.
AKA laffindog on this forum. He has them in the white.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Besides cost, and pride of ownership, the reason people build their own guns is because nobody makes exactly what they want.

If you want a specific model French fusil, or in my case an early English trade gun you will have to build it. If I wanted a generic trade gun I would go with one of the kits.

I believe the biggest advantage to building a kit is that you really know your gun. Therefore, maintenance, repairs and modifications do not appear as daunting.

That said, building takes time to do right. It takes a lot of patience and you will make mistakes. In the end you will realize why a well-built gun costs so much.

If such labors are not for you, it is best to have one built for you.

Mike Brooks made mine and it's a peach. Not cheap, but IMHO worth the investment.

This is after 30 shots without doing anything but loading and priming. No wiping, no picking, no misfires or hesitation. You can love that in a 7 lb., 42" swamped barrel 16 bore.

DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

Back