• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building a Lancaster Pennsylvania Long Rifle. I obtained the components from Pecatonica, thinking it was a kit, but I'm finding that this is above my skill level. I'm looking for a craftsman/mentor to help me develop the skills to finish this project. I'm located in Northeast Wisconsin so somebody within a days drive or so, that I could spend some time with to help me finish this gun before I mess it up anymore. Of course, I'd be willing to pay for your time.

If you cannot find a craftsman who can take the time to help you out, my suggestion is watch as many videos relating to what you are doing; that is, if you are working on the sight's installation, look at specific vids or writings that deal with just that. Look at the tools being used and why. Things like grinding off the teeth on one side of a triangular file so it only cuts where intended...things like that example. Many times, a general build post or vid is just that and really answers no questions. Take your time and good fortune with your build.

If you cannot find a craftsman who can take the time to help you out, my suggestion is watch as many videos relating to what you are doing; that is, if you are working on the sight's installation, look at specific vids or writings that deal with just that. Look at the tools being used and why. Things like grinding off the teeth on one side of a triangular file so it only cuts where intended...things like that example. Many times, a general build post or vid is just that and really answers no questions. Take your time and good fortune with your build.
Thanks. That's great advice

Pecatonica says in its ads that it does not sell kits. They sell a complete selection of parts - everything you need to build a rifle - but they are not "kits".
I hope you find someone to help you out.
You are correct. Pecatonica did not claim to have a kit. My mistake was after building a Traditions kit, I could handle this project. I found out that it is beyond my present skill level. I am learning though, I thought if I could find a craftsman/mentor that I could spend some time with, I could avoid making a complete mess of this project.

Here is a link to the first in a series of videos about building a rifle. It goes into detail of every step. It shows building from a blank, but everything most of it will apply to building from a pre-carved stock also. Full series is over 60 hours of video so it should cover pretty much everything.

Here is a link to the first in a series of videos about building a rifle. It goes into detail of every step. It shows building from a blank, but everything most of it will apply to building from a pre-carved stock also. Full series is over 60 hours of video so it should cover pretty much everything.
I'm not seeing a link to the video series. Would you please repost it?

The very first thing you need to understand is that you DON'T need a bunch of tools to build a gun. You can do it with a few gouges, a couple of files and a hand drill. You will also have to learn to sharpen your tools.
Then I would buy Herschel House's CD on building a Longrifle. Also go to the American Longrifle site and look up Mike Brooks tutorial on gun building. These two people are some of the best out their. You can do it. Just take it step by step.
But your number one tool you need is Patience.

We could help you,me and a good friend of years gone by build and sell the flintlock rifles,As for the pecatonic ,i have bought from them for years their compontes and built a quite a few of their rifles know doug very well and in fact my freind knows him from friendship ohio shoot, But you could send us that rife as we have done this before and build it for you,,let me know i can then talk with you and get you going on this,mostly i like to know you did try to build this ,afterall the people long ago did this ,,so why cannot you ?Either way i can help you and i would like to,,mickey

i think you sent this to me by mistake for it was another guy that is struggling with a rifle build.I build with no problem ,i was reaching out to him to let him know i could help him,,mickey

I live in beaver dam, WI
what are you struggling with? and I highly recommend picking up the gunsmith of Greenville county.
Hello Sean,
Thanks for your response. I've been working on the ramrod thimbles, and had a lot of trouble but now I think I've got that figured out. I'm sure I'm going to need some help though with the patchbox. If you every close to Green Bay, let me know, I'd welcome the opportunity to meet you. I've just ordered the book you recommended.

John

Latest posts

Back