• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for Brass Metal Craftsman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrydull

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Please remove if I've posted incorrectly.

I'm looking for a craftsman for hire that could finish cast brass muzzleloader items for my kit build. While I have all the wood skills I need, I have no tools or skills in metalwork. I'm located in Cincinnati and would like to fine a craftsman in the region.

Please PM me if you are interested in quoting.

Thanks,
Terry

Like @Pietro said, brass is easy.
Just buy a couple flat files and a file card, heck you can even start with a 4-1 Nicholson rasp.
The only trick is to file the brass away from the wood,, don't file the metal "into" the surrounding wood.
Start the file on the wood side,,moving into the brass, bring both to the same level,(just like a hardwood)
150 grit to shape, 300 or finer to polish
It's just copper with a little zinc = brass

Last edited:
Shaping and finishing your brass is nothing to be concerned about. As another poster mentioned file in the direction of wood to brass, clean your file often to avoid impregnating brass filings in the wood. Shape to the desired form and then polish to the desired shine. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Attachments

• Evidence of polished brass 6.jpg
    Evidence of polished brass 6.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 0
  • nose cap 8.jpg
    nose cap 8.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 0
  • back stock 1.jpg
    back stock 1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
Back