• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for grey owl's knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone remember a knife style suppossedly designed by Archie "Grey owl" Belaney?
It was a small, heavy skinner if I recall but I cannot remember what the style is called; nor can I find it on google.
anyone know what I'm talking about?

Skagan said:
Anyone remember a knife style suppossedly designed by Archie "Grey owl" Belaney?
It was a small, heavy skinner if I recall but I cannot remember what the style is called; nor can I find it on google.
anyone know what I'm talking about?

Found it! I was mistaken. it wasn't grey owl. but rather "NessMuk" that I was trying to recall.

StagNessie.gif

and was designed by George Washington Sears.

i have 2 and love them. a game processing/skinnin tool for sure. hump on back and thick so you can take a stick and beat it thru the breast bone. mine has a hole for a thong that i found useful when my hands were covered with blood and i was reaching in to clear things away the knife swung free but was easy to retrieve. stayed cleaner than laying aside on the ground.

the one Sears(Nesmuk) has a diagram for has a hole for a thong. I was skeptical when I first read about this knife, but after seeing one up close, I became a fan. of course, by thin I'd completely forgotten the fellows name who designed the thing! :redface:

Marc Adamchek said:
Now thas'a NICE knife! Who made the one in the picture?
dont know. I pulled it off of the nesmuk website to illustrate the style. I thought it was his originally, but couldnt say for sure. Sorry :redface:

As beautiful as it is, for hunting, I prefer a substantal guard. When the hands are bloody, cold and you are tired, a slip is highly probable without one. Deer blood is all we need. People blood not welcome.

Two Fingers Knife Co. makes custom Damascus Nessmuk blades. Beautifully done and not to expensive. These hold a nice edge. I have two of his. Put my own handles on. Changing one out to a beautiful Maple burl now.

Here is a link to the whole book Nessmuk's Woodcraft . The original sketch of the knife is a few pages in on the first page of chapter 2. Very few non-military knives had guards at that time, and most modern woodcraft people think guards just get in the way. In the book Nessmuk never really sais why he likes that design or what he uses it for specifically. In any case, it's a good and informative read for anyone interested in either woodcraft or primitive camping.
http://www.zianet.com/jgray/nessmuk/woodcraft/title_page.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back