• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for Anterless Deer, found a bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shine said:
A bear will growl at you, pop her lips let you know you should go away.

Ummmm...... :nono:

Don't count on it. In my too-long experience with bear charges, that stuff all happens after the charge is over and she's decided not to kick your hiny.

At least with grizzlies and my neighbors, the coastal brown bears, sow charges are instantaneous and silent. You're in the middle of a charge before you know it's started.

I'm scared senseless of bears I find sleeping. When they're awakened suddenly, their fight-or-flight gland is pumping full force. And if they're cornered.......

Alaska Black bears and ours are very different animals. Its rare to see one that's not running away. Its not even needed to carry a gun here but I do. I would not mow my lawn without a gun in Alaska.

I know of two black bear attacks in the county where I live just in the past five years. I know of at least a couple of other attacks involving cubs. It's a manure shoot and not worth the risk.

never tried bear, kinda bothers me how much they resemble a human once their pajamas are off but if a had a chance to have it prepared by somebody who really knew their stuff i'd give er a try.

creek

Black bears here in pa generally go the other way, sows with cubs will click, pop and bluff charge, you really gotta corner them to prompt an actual charge. I would say that's a male that due to lack of food and the time of year, and recent cold streak is "open" hibernating. They don't always hibernate under rocks in dens, I've seen them in a home made tree stand, under porches, in old barns, under up rooted trees, etc...I am fortunate to live in some of the best bear territory in all of pa!

Shine said:
They taste nothing like people.
You make me think of my favorite WWII air combat book called "Nanette"...one of those great works by a fighter pilot that covers every day to day craziness without actually the smoke and thunder. One of the squadron got shot down over New Guinea and showed up a couple weeks with a story of being found and cared for by some tribe of little known natives. When he was first given a bowl of something the author said, "Kevin hoped it wasn't 'person'...Kevin hated eating 'person'." :wink: :haha:

I've killed 2 bears, a younger one that was very tender but tasteless and an old sow whose teeth were worn to the gums. She was so tough that we wore out our jaws trying to eat a loin. It grew as you chewed it and reminded me of a hemp rope. :td:

Im in the dont need to shoot one crowd. They cool, remind me of a good dog. But I have no problem with others hunting em....just a personal thing. AWESOME picture though!

While I don't HUNT bear, I cook/eat a LOT of it, as I have a friend, who is an archer & "dedicated bear hunter" and nearly every year brings me "gifts".
(Last year, a 1/4 of a bear, neatly cut/wrapped for the freezer.)

Mostly my bear gets BBQd or "braised in a crockpot" (treated like a tough "beef pot roast") & generally gets served sliced with sides, with/over rice or noodles OR made into "slumgullian".

yours, satx

Ive harvested and eaten black bear. Bear stew is my favorite by far, and i look forward to my next encounter with one to procure some more stew. even the medallioned steaks were delicious. mmmmmmmm bear stew

Latest posts

Back