• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Looking for Anterless Deer, found a bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't been able to hunt the last two weekends due to other obligations. Saturday morning here in West Virginia dawned windy and warm. The first day of winter would break record high temperatures in several cities in WV. I didn't get started until late and left about 9:00 to hunt on my brother-in-law's farm for a mature anterless deer. Today I am carrying the .62 cal. smoothbore flintlock GM barrel on the TC Renegade. I was looking for a mature doe within my 50 yard range.

I arrived at the farm and loaded up for the day and began still hunting around the hill walking into the wind. The temperature was in the 60's after weeks of it barely getting out of the 30's for almost a month.

Later in the morning I was sitting on the edge of a field and several immature does came out about 100 yards away, they spent about 30 minutes feeding and then went back into the woods. I waited awhile and then began moving again.

Right after lunch one of my relatives came in to the farm to hunt and drove to the far end of the field to hunt with his 5 year old son in a blind. I decided to hunt on the other side of the ridge away from the blind.

I had to work my way through some blackberry briers right at the edge of the field before I could get back in the woods. Moving very slowly, mashing down the blackberry canes I had worked my way though them for about 20 feet when I glanced to my right and about 7 feet away was a black bear. He had dug out the end of an old round bale that had been left there 4 years ago and made himself a nest.

He didn't move and I backed out very slowly. I backed my way out of the briers to the field. He was now thirty feet away and invisible. I sent a text my relative to come and look at him. He drove back over and together we got some pictures.

I am not sure if he was hibernating or beginning to hibernate, but he laid there for the rest of the afternoon. My brother-in-law came over later to see him as well.

I did not get a mature deer close enough for shot but it was an eventful hunt.

WOW that was a great experience ,better than getting a Deer IMO , glad you got the pics that is one in a life time.

The phrase , let sleeping dogs alone, comes to mind, but if I was a youngster I might have to poke his foot to see what happened, but then again, not a good idea.

Sure would be tempting though.

Nice picture and something to ponder if a person was young and quick.

Nah, I can't run that fast.

If there was ever a picture of "hold my beer and watch this", you have it.

Great pictures and an interesting find for sure. On the NC coast where I have bear hunted a couple of times, the black bears do that during the short spells of cold weather instead of a full blown hibernation. It is very thick in places so they find the thickest place they can and make a bed, and lay up until the weather warms back up above freezing. It stays above freezing along the coast most of the winter. I was told the tale of some young local boys (12-14 yrs)that were out squirrel hunting or playing in the woods and walked up on a 500 lb one in its bed in a "sleep like mode" just like the one in your picture. Any way they ran home a couple of miles and got the deer rifle instead of a camera. Unsporting and unethical-true, but it made one heck of a tale once all the relatives got that thing out of the woods.

That's great. Not much chance of finding them around here now although a couple were seen as late as 1979 in the area. Used to move through Bastrop County from mexico but it's getting way too 'civilized' 'round here for nature. Did get to see the biggest bobcat I've ever seen and a Blackbuck who got over the fence at a local exotic game ranch. Fun but not as near a "Holy Krap" moment as nearly stepping on a slumbering bruin!! :thumbsup:

Pretty cool. I think you handled it perfectly.

This year a friend of mine was sneaking back out after an evening deer bowhunt on an old logging road and in the near dark came face-to-face with a black bear at close range. He just backed away and gave it a wide berth.

Good post.

I've seen a couple black bears locally but never while I had the chance to fill my bear tag (a new feature in this part of NY). Can't say I would if I could.

I've eaten bear, and seen dressed out bear hanging, and it doesn't fill me with a need to harvest one.

Spikebuck said:
...came face-to-face with a black bear at close range. He just backed away and gave it a wide berth.
Best way to handle it but god help you if you're standing near a cub when you realize it...unless you can fly, you're in a world of trouble G.I.!

A very rare / unique sighting / memory for sure.

Always had a soft spot for Black Bears and never had any interest in wanting to hunt / kill any.
Deer...well, a lot of states are covered up with them to the point of them being a PITA year round...but there's something about Black Bears to me that they'd get a pass even if I had one in range during an open season.

That's outstanding!..Just never know how your hunting day will unfold..
Just so much more to it than harvesting game!
An experience like that is icing on the cake...
Thank you for sharing. :thumbsup:

I've seen black bears several times, but don't have the desire to "take" one. Unless they become a nuisance, I'll leave them alone.

In Pa it is illegal to disturb a bear in its den.

Wes/Tex said:
god help you if you're standing near a cub when you realize it...unless you can fly, you're in a world of trouble G.I.!

Dr Lynn Rogers, one of the most noted Black Bear authorities in the world, used to get cubs to tag by driving back roads and when they would see a sow with cubs they'd get out and charge them. Of course the cubs went up the nearest tree and the sow would run off a ways. They would climb the tree and grab a bawling cub, bring it down, and tag it. He said that over decades of doing that not one sow ever carried through with an attack. They would charge and woof, sometimes coming within mere feet of the researchers, but they never completely carried through with physical contact.

Now, I'm not recommending anyone try that, but I thought that it shows that most sows are probably much more tolerant than we would think, even when their cubs are involved.

That may be true most of the time, but not always! We just had a young gay here in Pa attacked and chewed on by a sow with cubs while she was out hunt'n for deer. She was on stand and a couple of cubs ran past her, sow following cubs attacked her and was chewing on her head when another relative came running to her rescue...in fear of shooting and hitting the girl he fired over the bear and it ran off...leaving the girl badly hurt but thank God not fatally wounded! Bears are not to be fooled with as they are very powerful and let us not forget they are a predator! :v

Last edited by a moderator:
Mother bear and cubs don't scare me. I once paddled between a cow moose and her calf. She was on a sandbar and I did not see the calf on shore. I was able to make my escape on foot while she destroyed an old town canoe. She took out both seats and the center thwart. After she was done and walked away.I popped the canoe right side out and paddled home on my knees. I have owned a royalex canoe since. A bear will growl at you, pop her lips let you know you should go away. A momma moose will stomp you into a wet hole and then walk you dry.

Latest posts

Back