• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Look what i got!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly they might work I'm just scared it's too tight couldn't get it started real easy so I just swapped patches and I shot once until I figure out what I'm gonna do about ball and patches. I got .490 ball I just think that pillow ticking is most likely gauged at .18ish so I either back my ball down to .485 or I bump my patch down to .12ish. I would like to use the balls I got first because patching being cheaper then lead but I'm open to opinions and options. The real question is how tight is too tight.
If you are going to buy pillow ticking you need to measure it to know what you are getting unless you buy it from a BP vendor. If you own any BP guns a vernier caliper will be very handy to own. Along with patch thickness, patch lube will make a big difference in ease of loading. IMPO a non greasy damp patch works best. As you'll see the choices out there are endless. Searching for the proper load and method gives you a good excuse to shoot. Take your time. It probably will take several (many) sessions to find what works for you.

If you are going to buy pillow ticking you need to measure it to know what you are getting unless you buy it from a BP vendor. If you own any BP guns a vernier caliper will be very handy to own. Along with patch thickness, patch lube will make a big difference in ease of loading. IMPO a non greasy damp patch works best. As you'll see the choices out there are endless. Searching for the proper load and method gives you a good excuse to shoot. Take your time. It probably will take several (many) sessions to find what works for you.
They are Thompson center the only ones at the local shop and it doesn't tell you on the package which I think is dumb. But I don't mind tinkering and shooting different loads. I'll be updating until it's perfect!

Well first shot was sort of a success. I didn't think those pillow ticking were too thick but they were very much so too thick shot with cotton patch a little lubed. Ignition is fast as hell with 3f so aslong as I take great care of touchhole and bore it will be perfect. This gun will be a deer dropper after all the kinks. This shot was 70 grains of Schuetzen fff. With .490 round ball. After today definitely switching to thinner patches. Gun shoots great just so everyone knows cheaper is just as fun!
That's great, Man.

Looks like you got a good rifle.

I couldn't detect any delay from woosh to bang.

This shot was 70 grains of Schuetzen fff. With .490 round ball. After today definitely switching to thinner patches. Gun shoots great just so everyone knows cheaper is just as fun!
Looking good. When I’m working the ‘kinks’ out of a new gun I go with a light powder charge, maybe 35 to 55 grains in a 50 caliber like you have. Less fouling, easier on the shoulder and powder lasts longer.

To load easier with what you have, try a wetter patch. You can make a moose milk or maybe windshield washer fluid (I would avoid the Rainx, believe it leaves a film). If it doesn’t work, use it in your vehicle.

And your comment about cheaper being just as fun, your initial investment might be more economical, but cost of powder, patch material, flints lead/roundballs etc, puts everyone on pretty even ground.

It’s always fun, at least for me, to watch the ‘new guy’ go from zero to the top of the learning curve. Keep us posted on your progress.

Looking good. When I’m working the ‘kinks’ out of a new gun I go with a light powder charge, maybe 35 to 55 grains in a 50 caliber like you have. Less fouling, easier on the shoulder and powder lasts longer.

To load easier with what you have, try a wetter patch. You can make a moose milk or maybe windshield washer fluid (I would avoid the Rainx, believe it leaves a film). If it doesn’t work, use it in your vehicle.

And your comment about cheaper being just as fun, your initial investment might be more economical, but cost of powder, patch material, flints lead/roundballs etc, puts everyone on pretty even ground.

It’s always fun, at least for me, to watch the ‘new guy’ go from zero to the top of the learning curve. Keep us posted on your progress.
The fouling was nasty ran about 5 spit patches to get looking okay. I took home hit with 5 patches of bore cleaner. Looks great. Nice and shiny. Got the pan and Frizzen cleaned up and the barrel oiled up. Excited to go shoot tomorrow just need to figure the patch thing out because I used my 100% cotton cleaning patch for a shooting patch tonight due to the ticking patches being too tight.

The fouling was nasty ran about 5 spit patches to get looking okay. I took home hit with 5 patches of bore cleaner. Looks great. Nice and shiny. Got the pan and Frizzen cleaned up and the barrel oiled up.
Question for you, did you remove the barrel from the stock and flush/pump soapy water, or at least water through the breech and touch hole? I could be wrong, but I believe your gun has a chambered breech, and if you don’t flush it good, you will likely have issues next time you shoot. Cleaning with just patches is not going to work.

Question for you, did you remove the barrel from the stock and flush/pump soapy water, or at least water through the breech and touch hole? I could be wrong, but I believe your gun has a chambered breech, and if you don’t flush it good, you will likely have issues next time you shoot. Cleaning with just patches is not going to work.
Yeah I removed it only one wedge and one screw. It looks great next time I clean it I'll try to get a pic with a phone light on the bore!

Last edited:
They are Thompson center the only ones at the local shop and it doesn't tell you on the package which I think is dumb. But I don't mind tinkering and shooting different loads. I'll be updating until it's perfect!
If your patches are pre-lubed and T/C, there is no telling how old they are, and lubricated patches deteriorate over time. Get fresh unlubricated patches. Use your own lube such as a mix of dish soap and water or olive oil or any plant-based oil.

You will need the vernier calipers. Acceptable digital ones can be found for about $20 to $25.

If your patches are pre-lubed and T/C, there is no telling how old they are, and lubricated patches deteriorate over time. Get fresh unlubricated patches. Use your own lube such as a mix of dish soap and water or olive oil or any plant-based oil.

You will need the vernier calipers. Acceptable digital ones can be found for about $20 to $25.
They do seem oldish they fray easy and just not really lubed. Thank you for the advice! I plan on using bore fat and 100 percent cotton patches and cut my own.

Excited to go shoot tomorrow just need to figure the patch thing out because I used my 100% cotton cleaning patch for a shooting patch tonight due to the ticking patches being too tight.
Having a micrometer and calipers to check patch thickness are great, but it sounds like you are on a budget (I have been there and some items may have to wait) and you are wanting to shoot tomorrow. So, do you have any 100% cotton t-shirts or old pillowcases/sheets? Check tags or do a burn test to see what potential thinner patch material you may have on hand. Likely too thin to use as is, but if you take a couple of the TC preluded patches you have and load them on top of your powder charge before loading a roundball patched with the cotton t-shirt or sheet material (that should load pretty easy), the extra patches on top of your powder should seal the bore and protect the patch around the ball enough to get you loading and shooting your new gun. Not a good long term solution, but potential short term solution if all you have is too thin material to use for patches.

Having a micrometer and calipers to check patch thickness are great, but it sounds like you are on a budget (I have been there and some items may have to wait) and you are wanting to shoot tomorrow. So, do you have any 100% cotton t-shirts or old pillowcases/sheets? Check tags or do a burn test to see what potential thinner patch material you may have on hand. Likely too thin to use as is, but if you take a couple of the TC preluded patches you have and load them on top of your powder charge before loading a roundball patched with the cotton t-shirt or sheet material (that should load pretty easy), the extra patches on top of your powder should seal the bore and protect the patch around the ball enough to get you loading and shooting your new gun. Not a good long term solution, but potential short term solution if all you have is too thin material to use for patches.
I do have some nice thin all cotton shirts for the job!

Congratulations on your new gun. I enjoyed the posts about your first outing experience as well as the pictures. My impressions? You're gonna figure out what it takes to get the most out of that shooter and become a big time addict.
Well is seems you know me to well already! 😂 I plan on getting a complete traditional setup. The big thing I'm working on right now are powder horn and powder measure after I know what shoots perfect for me. This is truly all about having a blast shooting. Secondly all of this has to be huntable gear. Everything will hit the nastiest weather Pennsylvania has to throw. It's going to be fun figuring out how it all works in every condition. My wife is gonna kill me because you guys are gonna get me a homemade kibler and divorce papers🤣.

Just be sure they are 100% cotton. Synthetic materials tend to melt and leave a mess.
They are and they fit with my ball nicely. I'll post a really good video soon when I hit the range and show you some accuracy. I'll have it all tuned in around a week or twos time.

all of this has to be huntable gear. Everything will hit the nastiest weather Pennsylvania has to throw. It's going to be fun figuring out how it all works in every condition.
Grew up hunting in and around the Allegheny Forrest over to around St Marys. Though I now live in NC, I still hunt WNY near the PA border. You and your gear will be weather tested. Any issues or concerns you have at the range will likely end or ruin your day when hunting in the conditions Mother Nature can send your way at in this part of the country.

Grew up hunting in and around the Allegheny Forrest over to around St Marys. Though I now live in NC, I still hunt WNY near the PA border. You and your gear will be weather tested. Any issues or concerns you have at the range will likely end or ruin your day when hunting in the conditions Mother Nature can send your way at in this part of the country.
I hunt near Johnsonburg every once in a blue moon! I'm mighty close to all of that. This year will be the best year yet. Fingers crossed to fill all my tags! And the mother nature is volatile here. 60 degrees one day 2 degrees the next with 40 mph wind. 🤣

I hunt near Johnsonburg every once in a blue moon! I'm mighty close to all of that. This year will be the best year yet. Fingers crossed to fill all my tags! And the mother nature is volatile here. 60 degrees one day 2 degrees the next with 40 mph wind. 🤣
I have actually flown into the Dubois Airfield (hard to call it an airport) when doing business in the area. Very familiar.

If you want to go cheaper you can buy ticking at fabric or hobby stores and have your choice of cutting round or square patches or cutting the patch off at the muzzle. But you need to measure it. Hobby Lobby near me has .022, .018, and .015, which is what I like with a .490 ball in my .50 cal. Hawken.

If you want to go cheaper you can buy ticking at fabric or hobby stores and have your choice of cutting round or square patches or cutting the patch off at the muzzle. But you need to measure it. Hobby Lobby near me has .022, .018, and .015, which is what I like with a .490 ball in my .50 cal. Hawken.
Yeah tomorrow I'm lookin for ticking at .15 to .18 and my gun will do great I think. Making bore butter tomorrow with beeswax and olive oil. Tonight taught me not everything in the stores is better.😂 I'm super excited to work it all out. That's half the fun!

Back