• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading down for a .62 flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
85 grains of 3F in my 62cal. @ 75 yards 1.5 in orange dot. I can hit clay birds at 100 just fine.

Attachments

• 20230501_143728.jpg
    20230501_143728.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I would have no hesitations about shooting 35 grs (or less) in your 62 caliber. Sure you're going to hit low at 100yrds, but for targets and Woods-walks, you might find it does just fine out to 50yards.
If your shoulder seems okay with it,....just keep adding powder.

I have a beautiful .62 flintlock built by Steve Zihn. The object was elk hunting, and it has been in the woods with me but has not made meat. I also have a shoulder that got a pretty extensive rebuild in November (just hooking things back up, no implant). The combination of a hunting load in the .62 and my shoulder is a bad one, so I am trying to bring this down to a trailwalk/target load that I can tolerate.

I am admittedly short-cutting the range time part of the equation, but am wondering what your experience is with lighter loads in large calibers. If I can get down to something that will work for me out to about 100 yards, I can do most of what I want to.

Figuring if I can't get it loaded down and accurate, then I will likely sell this rifle and get something in a .40, smaller pill, less powder, much less recoil. After dealing with my father in law's stuff after he passed, I don't need expensive wall hangers.

BTW - as delivered years back, the recommended hunting load from the builder is 140gr of 2F.

Your advice/wisdom/suggestions are appreciated.

David
NM
Uhmmmm ..... Wow .....

Back