• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

long range shooting with patched round ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I routinely shoot out to 300 yards with my rifles. When a rifle and load is set up correctly those 300 yard shots are not super hard. My Friend Mike had never shot my hawken before. In fact he had only shot a couple rifles ever. Mike shot and hit with my 45 at 100,150 and 200 yards. He just missed with a shot that went a bit left at 250 yards.

https://youtu.be/NInQ--GAimo

Idaho Ron said:
I routinely shoot out to 300 yards with my rifles. When a rifle and load is set up correctly those 300 yard shots are not super hard. My Friend Mike had never shot my hawken before. In fact he had only shot a couple rifles ever. Mike shot and hit with my 45 at 100,150 and 200 yards. He just missed with a shot that went a bit left at 250 yards.

What size target were you shooting at?

Hi Ron

Are you still shooting paper patched slugs? Have you tried round ball at 200 or 300 yards?

Not trying to be a pain, I think your writing about long shooting is great. I have done a little 200 yd shooting and have had some success, but it was with a 35 lbs bench rifle. 54 cal, 175 grains of 2 f, and good peep sight.

Michael

Looking for opinions, thoughts, educated guesses...

For a Pedersoli 1816, a drop in rifled barrel for longest range shootin' you could wring out of it, what ball size and ballpark powder charge would you figger on trying?

GoodCheer said:
... what ball size and ballpark powder charge would you figger on trying?

The combo that shoots the tightest groups irrespective of velocity. You'll need really fine accuracy to have a hope of hitting poot way out there, and your sights can be adjusted to accommodate it.

Are you talking about a musket? Shooting bullet? If yes. I don't have a clue, however shooting round balls at 200 yds is very difficult. My question to Ron is/was is he talking about shooting his bullet gun. The is a big difference between shooting round balls and bullets/slugs.
I do know musket and bullet guns shoot very well at 200 yards, even offhand, just not round balls.

Michael

meanmike said:
Are you talking about a musket? Shooting bullet? If yes. I don't have a clue, however shooting round balls at 200 yds is very difficult. ~SNIP~
Michael

Difficult yes, but EVER SO SATISFYING I am discovering. I have yet to hit the steel plate at 200 yards on my local range. (OK thats an exageration, Ive hit it. Just not in the last two years..
BUT!!!
I find I enjoy it when I can actually see the dust splash around the gong. I will get that thing! (Again?)

juice jaws said:
Idaho Ron said:

What size target were you shooting at?

The target I shoot at for practice is 12"x8"

The one I had mike shooting since he was such a green horn was 14"x 18"

meanmike said:
Hi Ron

Are you still shooting paper patched slugs? Have you tried round ball at 200 or 300 yards?

Not trying to be a pain, I think your writing about long shooting is great. I have done a little 200 yd shooting and have had some success, but it was with a 35 lbs bench rifle. 54 cal, 175 grains of 2 f, and good peep sight.

Michael

I am using paper patched bullets. Yes they are slug guns. Round Balls are of no use to me.

Idaho Ron said:
I am using paper patched bullets. Yes they are slug guns. Round Balls are of no use to me.

Um.. what relevance does anything you post have to do with the OP's question about "long range shooting with PATCHED ROUND BALL"??

Sorry, just seemed a good question to ask since that was what this thread was supposed to be about...

Maybe I'm being a bit overly crotchety tonight? did have an argument with me son earlier, but we made up... :idunno:

Ron simply answered a question, he dont use PRB. I am selling my .58 armi 3 band Enfield but used to shoot PRB out of it alot, not great groups but with the bullets it would shoot accurate enough to keep in the collection. I imagine if I had a mentor and learned paper patch and alot of time it could do well. Has a site system that appears to have been created to shoot way past three hundred yds. Crank that back site up and yer dealing with dropping that bullet in not firing it in, dang it'd be a head shot only type thing cause its gonna hit on the way down from about a 45 degree trajectory :shocked2:

to AZmntnman:
Oh I agree, but my contention is his comments are in direct response to a thread about patched roundball shooting. Something he admits he does not do...

More directly to Idaho Ron; I apologize if I was being in any way disrespectful. I actually watched your video and I am most interested in what you have to teach.

:shocked2: :redface: Man I tell ya! I've been hanging around this forum too much, you crotchety old timers are rubbing off on me.. :rotf: :surrender: :thumbsup:

Adui said:
:shocked2: :redface: Man I tell ya! I've been hanging around this forum too much, you crotchety old timers are rubbing off on me.. :rotf: :surrender: :thumbsup:

You will catch up with me in about 30 years. :wink:
Actually, I started this thread because I am really interested in folks sharing their experience using prb at ranges over 100 yards. My club has just expanded our range to 300 yards with the intention of having bpcr matches. But, I'm a roundballer and would like to try to introduce matches at 100, 200 and 300 yards shooting steel silhouettes. It might be very challenging but might also be fun. Dunno. :idunno: Club members might shoot down the idea.

I've often considered putting a very non HC tang peep on my Hawken for that very reason. My regular sight in is at 50 yards, but I do so enjoy the challenge of hitting that steel set at 200, (Maybe someday I'll be able to do it with some consistency). A peep on the tang would help that immeasurably! (Kentucky windage only gets me so far)

Adui said:
I've often considered putting a very non HC tang peep on my Hawken for that very reason. My regular sight in is at 50 yards, but I do so enjoy the challenge of hitting that steel set at 200, (Maybe someday I'll be able to do it with some consistency). A peep on the tang would help that immeasurably! (Kentucky windage only gets me so far)

Tang peeps have been around longer than I have. And that's really old. Go fer it. My idea (at my club) would allow peepers.

Back