• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lodge Dutch Oven

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it is not unknown for some people to use an old cast iron skillet for melting down lead for sinkers, bullets, etc. , is there any cheap and / or easy test that can be done to ensure that a newly acquired used skillet has not been used for this purpose?

Yes there is an inexpensive test. Paint Stores have a " swab" test kit for lead paint,, you just follow the instructions in the box..House Painters use them and EPA.DEP and realitors to identify lead paint in older houses..
Short answer ,, yes !!!

My sister collects CI and gets most of her's at the "Goodwill Botique" as she refers to it ,, Goodwill has lots of it in this area ,,

On ocassion I have turned the domed lids over on the pot and put the coals in that , works ,, just a little more difficult to check on the cooking but that is good,, surpose to leave it alone anyway,,

I have a cast iron sauce pot I use to melt lead in. My plan is to destroy when my casting days are over. But, there is the chance I'll kick and it could end up being sold for use. Hope that doesn't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth folks, the Bedourie Camp Oven is the Australian "improvement" over the cast iron camp oven. With it's flat steel lid, as it's level it's easier than the original domed camp oven lid without the rim, and lighter than the current cast iron lids, PLUS it's easier to use as a skillet as well. The story goes this variation was due to the common problem of cracking a cast iron oven on the volcanic rock of Australia's Outback if the oven was dropped. (I think poor quality ovens were being shipped "downunder", myself).

I have used an iron pot and a steel skillet which fit snug to convert that pot into a camp oven. It works fairly well. The biggest problem seems to be the kettle shape... | | or \ / you can get the baked goods out fairly easily, but ( ) shaped and it's a real bother....

LD

Luke MacGillie said:
but look at the major difference,,,,
:hmm: Ya know,,
I wonder why such a timeless simple design was changed so much into what we have today?

I know most of us don't cook over a fireplace and hearth any more,,

Loyalist Dave said:
The story goes this variation was due to the common problem of cracking a cast iron oven on the volcanic rock of Australia's Outback if the oven was dropped.
That would be HC, don't know about PC. :haha: Journal of James Nourse, Jr., 1779, traveling into the Kentucky frontier:

"This day we so unfortunate as to break our Dutch oven and loose the lid in the snow."

Sorry.

Spence

I should add that when I did the steel skillet and iron pot experiment... I placed the skillet on the top of the pot, and it partially fit within the rim, and I put the coals inside the skillet, so it acted like a DU lid with a raised lip.

LD

Just received my new Stansport (4Qt) dutch oven with legs, no not the quality of Lodge but I checked it out very carefully, lid fits properly, no cracks and yes the finish is a little rough. I need to clean it then start the seasoning, figure it'll take 3 to 4 turns in the oven before it's properly seasoned due to the roughness of the finish.
It cost me $20 shipped.

i scrub it good, dry it, scrub it down with lard really well inside and out and then upside down in a 350 - 400 degree gas grill outside.

Jack Wilson said:
Ringel05 said:
I need to clean it then start the seasoning,.....
Make sure you use solid vegetable shortening (Crisco, etc.) NOT lard or animal fat.
I've also read that extra virgin olive oil works extremely well.

why?
"Back before shortening and olive and vegetable oil existed, cast iron was the only cookware, and it was being seasoned with the cooking fat of the day, aka lard. Some people say it's still the best thing to use. I agree. It doesn't get gummy and weird like shortening and oils can."

Back