• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lodge Dutch Oven

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greggholmes said:
Back before shortening and olive and vegetable oil existed, cast iron was the only cookware
I can agree about the oils, but cast iron wasn't ever an "only cookware" at all, tin and tinned copper was used for a long time.
And a person can "season" just about any metal,, cast iron isn't the only item that can benefit from a burn on layer of fats,,

Olive oil predates the use of iron as a cooking metal, the Greeks used it with copper and bronze... probably got the idea from the Egyptians....

:wink:

I have found that since I store my iron camp cooking pots/ovens for long periods of time... the use of an oil vs. something like bacon grease really reduces the chance mice will play around the iron. I think it's the salt in the bacon grease or perhaps the smell (the smell of bacon makes me hungry so why not the mice?). I don't normally have much unsalted lard handy.

LD

greggholmes said:
why?
"Back before shortening and olive and vegetable oil existed, cast iron was the only cookware, and it was being seasoned with the cooking fat of the day, aka lard.
Cast iron was not the only cookware and not everyone had pigs (lard). :shake:

Maybe we have newer technology and better methods than were available back then? (You're not one of those guys that walks to the rendezvous, because they didn't have cars, are you?) :wink: :v

Jack Wilson said:
greggholmes said:
Back before shortening and olive and vegetable oil existed, cast iron was the only cookware, and it was being seasoned with the cooking fat of the day, aka lard.
Cast iron was not the only cookware and not everyone had pigs (lard). :shake:
Depending on the time period or location, people could have cooked in cast iron, steel or tin.

Also, unless you're "frying" in cast iron, most things don't stick anyway (soup, stew, anything that is mostly liquid). If you're baking, grease the bottom.

true ,i copied and pasted that from another site is why it had the Quote marks on it. i didn't have time to clean it up.
I have tin, copper and cast

I have always used animal and olive oils for my cast ironand never had a problem with it. I dont like veggy oil in its many forms butolive works great. New pots always got lard or bacon to begin with. What troubles have you run into with lard Jack?, Have you used lard after you got it sesoned and did you have the same troubles?

Lard works fine but I don't like it because of the way it smells when it burns.

I doubt that everyone back in the day had lard, after all, market hunters weren't hunting little piggies.
Most any saturated fat will work.

Decided it was time to tackle it. Got the wax coating melted off, yup the house stunk of burned wax....... It's scrubbed and drying now, I'll start seasoning it soon with olive oil.

Merry Xmas and thanks for all the information. In reading all the information here and checking out the included links there was a lot of information on the "Lodge" brand cast iron brand. Is this the same line carried at Bass Pro and Cabelas which is a new product? I have seen the skillets at my local Bass Pro and they looked well made. Wife wants a dutch oven and I told her to hold off until I check it out with my experts here :grin: if buying new is the lodge brand worth getting and if anyone uses it how do you like it. Thanks. Art

Cabelas carries Lodge and their own brand, Bass Pro carries Lodge, their own and Browning.

You might be able to get Lodge cheaper online at places like Sportsmansguide, Ebay or Amazon, depends on how much the shipping adds to the total cost.

Art Peltier said:
if buying new is the lodge brand worth getting and if anyone uses it how do you like it.
Many times buying famous name brand stuff costs you extra money with no gain in quality. I think that is true of cast iron cookware. I use a lot of ironware, have done so for a long time, some of it which belonged to my grandmother 75 years ago, and most of it is completely unmarked. It all gives excellent service.

Spence

George said:
Art Peltier said:
if buying new is the lodge brand worth getting and if anyone uses it how do you like it.
Many times buying famous name brand stuff costs you extra money with no gain in quality. I think that is true of cast iron cookware. I use a lot of ironware, have done so for a long time, some of it which belonged to my grandmother 75 years ago, and most of it is completely unmarked. It all gives excellent service.

Spence
:thumbsup:
I have Stansport, can often be had for half the price of a Lodge, bought my last 4 qt (three legged)from JC Pennys for $19 a month or so ago. Other than having to burn off the factory wax and going through the initial seasoning process I've had no complaints.

One quick thought on the comments I am reading here. Most are saying that washing with soap removes the seasoning. In reality soap is made with animal fat and should be fine for cleanup. Detergent on the other hand removes fats and oils and will remove the seasoning. My skillets seem to love cooking bacon and the grease seems to create a wonderful seasoning.

Soap does not remove the seasoning as much as it pollutes it. The taste stays behind in the pan.

I have a "modern" Lodge cast iron dutch oven. As most folks know, Lodge makes the inner surfaces slightly rougher than older iron ware,like old Wagners, which was smoother. I was thinking of taking a sander or grinder, and smoothing the inside. Is this unnecessary, or could I damage the iron some how? I'd like some opinions from those with more experience than myself, before I ruin a perfectly good dutch oven. Thanks in advance, JA

I have a "modern" Lodge cast iron dutch oven. As most folks know, Lodge makes the inner surfaces slightly rougher than older iron ware,like old Wagners, which was smoother. I was thinking of taking a sander or grinder, and smoothing the inside. Is this unnecessary, or could I damage the iron some how? I'd like some opinions from those with more experience than myself, before I ruin a perfectly good dutch oven. Thanks in advance, JA

I have taken a120 flap disc to cast iron and finished with a 3M polishing pad. Leaves a smooth slick surface. Don't forget to season after this method.

Back