• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock Tuner Info requested

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polish everything that rubs together. Flush the abrasive out. Lubricate it(I use lightweight lithium grease. Oil will get in the wood) and use it. I use musket flints in my big Kibler lock to raise the flint a little. They hang out to the side a little but work fine.

Polish everything that rubs together. Flush the abrasive out. Lubricate it(I use lightweight lithium grease. Oil will get in the wood) and use it. I use musket flints in my big Kibler lock to raise the flint a little. They hang out to the side a little but work fine.
This is all it needs.

You might want to play with your flint angle a little as you can see that while there is an abundance of sparks they are forward of the pan and where the powder will be.

Treetop, for your lock you might see an improvement tumbling the parts in a polish (walnut shells) and reassemble.

why don’t you go and tell Jim Chambers his locks have bad geometry and the sparks are not in the pan, let us know how that conversation goes.

Get out of your parents basement Troll.

Last edited:
After assembling over 10 Kibler kits, all three types, I have never observed any of his locks that need any "tuning". Anything done to the working surfaces will be damage to a greater or lesser degree. Under no circumstances mess with sear and tumbler surfaces. These locks a highly finished and fit together like a swiss watch. No working surfaces will be improved by polishing to enhance function. Doing so is simply accelerated wear. You can not improve how they work by polishing or fixing anything. The CNC machined parts fit together with extremely close tolerances yet they are completely free to move as designed.

Jim Kiblers CNC locks are precision machines, they have nothing in common with the usual locks that are banged together from low quality castings.

I do cut rasp teeth on the jaws to hold the flint leather. I polish with #320 then blend with maroon Scotchbrite. The CNC finishes are excellent as received, no filing is needed. The only parts that have a tiny bit more to work to be done are the cock and frizzen. . The issue bead blast finish is actually fine as is.

Last edited:
No! Leave it alone. It can not be improved.

Agree, someone sent me a Kibler lock last year complained it was grinding, the issue was they handn’t cleaned it, there was abrasive material from polishing in the internals. I dropped it in the ultrasonic for 10 min, cleaned up perfectly fine and sparked like a zippo lighter.

Attachments

• IMG_3252.jpeg
    IMG_3252.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3253.jpeg
    IMG_3253.jpeg
  • IMG_3254.jpeg
    IMG_3254.jpeg
  • IMG_3255.jpeg
    IMG_3255.jpeg