• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacement lock for traditions hawken woodsman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mckutzy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey gang...
Been a long time since posting here..

I've needed a new frizzen for my lock for a while now.. but the best thing I can do I've been told is just get a better lock.
I've got a bit of cash to do so, I'm am located in Canada, so I know conversion/shipping will be a bit..

What's avaliable as far as a "drop in"...(im totally aware of a slight relief of the lock-inlet often is the case) ...

A Traditions replacement frizzen can be had for around $25. Quick and easy replacement to get back in business. Why are you being told you need a new lock ?

A Traditions replacement frizzen can be had for around $25. Quick and easy replacement to get back in business. Why are you being told you need a new lock ?

Traditions™ Replacement Frizzen for Flintlock Muzzleloaders - A1721

Replacement frizzen for Traditions™ or CVA™ RiflesHardened face allows for consistent spark production

Current price$28.00
frizzen--Capture.PNG

A few have said overall its a better bet on a new lock, as there are tuned a better hardened part on them. But the main issue is that the frizzen retaining screw is captive from the back of the lock plate, opposed to typical locks that have the screw come out from the front, with that being said after 14+ years or so of owning it, the head is seized and is buggered... so, there's no getting it out (easily)to replace the frizzen.

Had it being not so unextractable, I would have rehardened it myself and carried on... also to buy the replacement frizzen here in Canada is virtually nonexistent... so if I'm going to get a replacement of something.. I'll get a new whole lock and see if I can eventually get that rolling again whenever...

.. also to buy the replacement frizzen here in Canada is virtually nonexistent... so if I'm going to get a replacement of something.. I'll get a new whole lock and see if I can eventually get that rolling again whenever...
You know that there is this barter system where things of equal value are exchanged.
IM me is you need one & something can be worked out.

You know that there is this barter system where things of equal value are exchanged.
IM me is you need one & something can be worked out.
Yep, and it's best people get use to it sooner than later, you can't stop what's coming.

I recently got a new lock from TOTW, a L&R replacement lock for the traditions hawken woodsman.
After carefully relieving a few bits of wood hear and there, I got it to seat flat against the barrel.
After a few hours of this... now I'm sadly wondering if I have received a wrong lock.
The pan of this lock sits rearward to the touchhole. I have confirmed with another (traditions hawken woodsman)gun lock that it fits exactly the same, same place for the touch hole where it should be, so manufacturing tolerance I understood it would need final fitting, I dont think it would be that off..
All said and done... it cost me ~$450, I had looked at another gun for about that price, but it was in cap...

I'm a little disappointed...
Suggestions as to what to do... at this point. File a divot to make a better touchhole contact??
I've included the original and the new lock pics.

Attachments

• 20240221_163326.jpg
    20240221_163326.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240221_194207.jpg
    20240221_194207.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
It looks like you will need to get a dremel or similar and dish out the powder area in the lock. Be sure you dont mess up the mating surface between that and the frizzen, only grind the bowl deeper.

Latest posts

Back