• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock Tuner Info requested

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that lock tuning is expensive, like other things using skilled labor - plumbing, electrical work, and so on. In some cases it would make sense to buy another lock if you just happen to have a lemon. Then you have a set of spare parts in hand.

It's a Kibler woods runner lock. Just curious if a fine tune would make any difference to it's already great design & function. Maybe micro-tune would have been a better title to the post?

Simply stated, I've never had my hands on a Kibler lock that has been tuned. There is typically always improvements to any thing or design. Not looking to for science, just curious to speak to someone that can polish a diamond.

It's a Kibler woods runner lock. Just curious if a fine tune would make any difference to it's already great design & function. Maybe micro-tune would have been a better title to the post?
@FlinterNick did my Chambers lock for an older colonial kit. Here's a rundown of what he did to it, not in order:

- Polished springs
- Shot peen/polish on internal parts
- Polished external parts to a nice satin/matte finish
- Deburred everything
- Cut teeth in the jaws to hold the flint better
- Color case hardened frizzen
- Probably something else I'm forgetting.

It came back beautiful and fast, sparks like crazy. Is it necessary for a high quality lock? Maybe, maybe not, but if you have the means to make your new heirloom quality rifle as good as it can be then why not?

PXL_20240125_002938898.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
PXL_20240125_002913515.PORTRAIT.jpg
1000008578.png

@FlinterNick did my Chambers lock for an older colonial kit. Here's a rundown of what he did to it, not in order:

- Polished springs
- Shot peen/polish on internal parts
- Polished external parts to a nice satin/matte finish
- Deburred everything
- Cut teeth in the jaws to hold the flint better
- Color case hardened frizzen
- Probably something else I'm forgetting.

It came back beautiful and fast, sparks like crazy. Is it necessary for a high quality lock? Maybe, maybe not, but if you have the means to make your new heirloom quality rifle as good as it can be then why not?
View attachment 297139
You might want to play with your flint angle a little as you can see that while there is an abundance of sparks they are forward of the pan and where the powder will be.

Treetop, for your lock you might see an improvement tumbling the parts in a polish (walnut shells) and reassemble.

You might want to play with your flint angle a little as you can see that while there is an abundance of sparks they are forward of the pan and where the powder will be.

Treetop, for your lock you might see an improvement tumbling the parts in a polish (walnut shells) and reassemble.
I shoot with bevel up, that one was pretty much worn down into a chunk and he had it flipped for testing but thank you sir. Hard to get a good screenshot of a video :p

Last edited:
Who is the best lock tuner in town?

Currently I’m working on a queen Ann dog lock, will have it done by the weekend, have 22 locks on the bench, i get through about 3 a month.

I only work on lock assembly, and repairs , i do not do gun kit builds i refer kit builds out to various builders based On their availability. I do restorations too, I’m currently restoring for three collectors who have published works. I refer kits out to a number of builders i supply locks to.

You may reference my name Nicholas A. Genda, with the rifle shoppe.

In regards to Indian made locks I only work on those for reenactment groups, especially the third New Jersey and Jersey blues. You’ll have to have your unit commander contact me about the lock.

@muskethunter1109

Attachments

• IMG_2935.png
    IMG_2935.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2937.jpeg
    IMG_2937.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1832.png
    IMG_1832.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1829.jpeg