• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who made this lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After many years, I would like to get my flintlock running. Would like to know who made the lock. Also what size flint will work in this lock.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5480.jpeg
    IMG_5480.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5481.jpeg
    IMG_5481.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
large siler. put the cock in the half cock position and with the frizzen closed measure from the front of the jaw screw to the frizzen. deduct 1/4 inch or so and that is the length.
measure the width of your frizzen and that will be the width.
Thanks deerstalkert. Now to figure out who made it. It is 36 caliber and was purchased in Ft Collins, CO many moons ago at Cache la Poudre gunworks.

Attachments

• IMG_5482.jpeg
    IMG_5482.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5483.jpeg
    IMG_5483.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5485.jpeg
    IMG_5485.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5486.jpeg
    IMG_5486.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Looks like a nice rifle. A gun need not be signed or by a known builder to be of service and shoot well. Clean and lube the lock, give it some exercise and have fun.

I have a couple of these rifles that were made in the 1970's. We can identify the lock, maybe the barrel and the triggers. Any indication of who made the rifle or fowling gun is long gone. They are good rifles, made of quality parts and are accurate. It's time for us to just enjoy them. Reminds me that I need to make some marks on the rifles that I built.

I have a couple of these rifles that were made in the 1970's. We can identify the lock, maybe the barrel and the triggers. Any indication of who made the rifle or fowling gun is long gone. They are good rifles, made of quality parts and are accurate. It's time for us to just enjoy them. Reminds me that I need to make some marks on the rifles that I built.
If I remember correctly it was purchased in 1980 or 81. Probably built in the 70’s as you said. Bought it because it has nice proportions. Stock isn’t bulky.

it is a very nice rifle. hints that it was built by someone other than a master are the sights among other small details. not denigrating the gun or the builder in any way though. i would have grabbed it for my harem.
unfortunately the everyday joe's that built a one off using their innate creative abilities back in the day many times didn't sign their guns. i have only ever signed one build, and had to be bribed to do that.
chase after those double lines just ahead of the tang. they may be a signature of sorts.
ps. something about that barrel whispers Douglas to me.

Latest posts

Back