• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am very slowly buying parts i need to build a muzzleloader. I am not going for a period correct muzzleloader. More of a hunting piece that has traditional parts. So I am making a hawkens style. I have a stock (maple), barrel and breech. I want to make it flintlock so I can use it during our traditional season. My question is how do you determine the lock size? I plan on buying a lock and trigger within the next week or 2. My plan is to go with a set trigger setup.

I’m not sure what you mean by hawkens style and not period correct. Do you mean a halfstock gun?

When one doesn’t care about being historically correct then just get a pistol sized lock for a pistol and a rifle sized lock for a rifle. If performance is what you’re looking for a Chambers Late Ketland is a snappy lock.

I would also pick the Chambers Late Ketland for this project - very good lock :thumb: :horseback:

For your search for a lock, look at Track of the Wolf website. They have a large assortment of locks. Also, any other parts needed to build your new rifle.
If you run into a problem with any part of the build, there is an over abundance of help here in the forum.

So I just got back from my local BP shop and I picked up a small siler. It fit the size the stock the best. I know it may not be the PC lock but I like it. Thanks for the input. The owner of the store had a good price on it and he suggested it.

Latest posts

Back