• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock Problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no bridle either. So, can there be a fly without a bridle? If so how would it go together and how do I take the tumbler out and put it back in with basic tools?

:doh:
Sounds like somebody took your lock apart and couldn't figure out where those extra parts went.

I'm assuming there are two empty screw holes in the lock plate.

Without a bridle, the tumbler can start wobbling and hog out the lock plate. On most locks it also keeps the fly in place.

You need a fly, bridle and bridle screws.

There is 1 extra hole. According to the schematic one of the screws for the bridal goes through the sear.

Try looking around in this link
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/support

The pdf file drawing shows the fly being installed from the lockplate side of the tumbler.

If this is true, the bridle is needed not only to support the outer end of the tumbler but to keep the inner surface of the tumbler snugly against the lockplate.

After you get ahold of Traditions ask them about the fly, bridle and bridle screw. They should cost less than buying a new lock.

Once you get your parts we can describe the correct method for removing the hammer and tumbler.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some Youtube Tutorials on disassembly of locks. Everyone that owns a muzzle loader should learn to disassemble the lock. Anyone could take a lock apart, but understanding the purpose of the fly, proper tightening of screws, proper spring removal, and lubrication, means seeking help from an experienced person, or videos. Only you know your degree of comfort, when it comes to mechanical workings.

Here are the pics I sent Traditions today. We'll see what they say. I think they installed the wrong lock at the factory.

Your main spring looks a little funky - maybe bent out of shape and sitting pretty far forward on the tumbler.

Get the impression it was left on full cock for many many years and the geometry is all jiggered (?????)

The bridle is missing. You see the extra hole, behind the hammer, that's where the bridle screw would go. The boss on the tumbler, also fits in the bridle. And the screw, thru the sear, also goes through the bridle. The fly would be on the back side of the tumbler, and I can't see if it's there or not. Parts are missing---such as bridle plate, bridle screw, and possibly the fly. If you took the hammer off, the tumbler, would fall right out of the lock.

The main spring is pushing down on an unsupported tumbler. The bridle plate keeps the tumbler supported and sandwiched between the lock plate and bridle plate.

There's been too much gerfinger poken und mitten grabbin on that lock.

So to start all over, where can I buy a Traditions lock or would I be better to upgrade to a L&R?

Deer Creek Products
756:525:6181

no web site, phone or fax orders only

I'd call and ask them for the parts you need, Bridle, screws and fly.
Tell them you have a Traditions bridled lock missing parts.

That number has been disconnected. I did a web search and Castboolits says they have changed hands. I'm hoping Traditions can help. I think a new lock is the best idea. I've seen that L&R has a replacement but I wonder if it will fit the inlet or if I'll have a hole showing. Any ideas?

I didn't see parts on their web site.

"#45 What if I need to get parts or service for my Traditions muzzleloader?

If you do not find what you are looking for on our website, you can request parts or service via e-mail or by calling the 1-860-388-4656 and asking for the Customer Service Department."

I found a lock tuning kit that has all the parts to rebuild a Traditions lock for $90. Would I be better off to buy this and try to rebuild mine or wait for Traditions to contact me about this?

If ya dont have a hunt coming up you could wait, they may call Monday AM. OR... for $90.00 you will have a rebuilt lock and problems, could be worth it just fr piece of mind :confused:

:redface:
I kinda wondered about that, I had heard they are under new owners but that they where still open for business.
They shouldn't put the 5 and 6 so close together on the key board!!

Latest posts

Back