• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Resources for lock repair?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuzee

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have an original Potsdam 1809 with a hair trigger that will catch on half unless the trigger is really yanked. It looks like someone had messed with the tumbler in the last 200 years.

I have determined that the trigger pushes on the sear when the lock is in the gun, so it functions better by itself, but I’m sure the half notch is still an issue.

Before I start filing away I wanted to see if there is any literature out there about lock geometry and repair? Thanks

If it’s catching on half in the gun but not outside the gun it’s possible that:
A) the trigger is not free to lift the sear high enough. Deepen slot for trigger blade.
B) the sear arm is not free to lift far enough in the hole. Enlarge the hole upwards or deepen it or both.
C) The trigger pull is too light for a lock without a fly. Move the trigger pin forward to give poorer leverage. Investigate that the full cock notch is at the correct, radial angle and the sear is not just falling downhill out of the notch. See if the sear spring is strong.

I fixed one once by shortening the leg (just a little!) on the sear spring so I had to use a bit more force on my trigger finger, and that allowed the tumbler to bypass the half-cock notch.

Back