• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cap lock work

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPQR70AD

45 Cal.
Reaction score
does anybody know where I can send a rifle cap lock to be fixed? when you go to cock it the fly swings down and blocks the tumbler from locking half or full cock

@SPQR70AD,

The fly is nowhere near the full cock notch to block the sear from entering the full cock notch. Therefore, I don't think the lock is causing the problem.

Remove the lock from the stock. Does the lock function properly when it has been removed? It should.

A more likely cause for the problem is that the lock plate is pulled too deeply into the trigger mortise and the trigger levers are lifting the sear lever high enough to block the nose of the sear to enter the full and half cock notches. You will need a shim in the trigger mortise to lower the trigger plate.

I have the lock out of the rifle. I go to cock it and the fly comes down getting in the way of the sear to pop into the half and full cock notches

It would help if you would post a clear picture of the inside of the lock. Here are some possibilities. First, the bridle plate screws are loose allowing the fly to jump out of it's pin hole. Check all the screws to see that they are tight, except for the sear screw which should only be snug - allowing the sear to still freely move. Next, is there a chance this is a Spanish lock like on a CVA or something similar? If so, there is a little screw on some of them that can adjust the amount of sear engagement with the tumbler. That screw may be screwed in too far. Next, check the hammer screw to make sure it is not loose. The above answer about the trigger bar interfering with the sear bar is a strong possibility also.

We need pictures to help. What brand of lock also.

it says
001.JPG
012.JPG
made in italy . it is a hawken pennsylvania rifle. here is the lock

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    629.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    646.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    586.1 KB · Views: 0
@SPQR70AD

I know of a BP gunsmith who lives near Kankakee IL. He would likely be willing to give it a look. STRONG disclaimer, I have had NO work done by him, but several folks I know and trust swear by his work. Pm me for his number if you are interested.

That lock doesn't have a "fly",, it's Ok,
Try some oil, on everything, Honest,, plenty of oil,, these lock need lubrication
you cant see it in the pics cause the fly is small. when trying to cock it the hammer sear slides over the half and full cock notches without engaging

I have the lock out of the rifle. I go to cock it and the fly comes down getting in the way of the sear to pop into the half and full cock notches
I see the pin hole for the fly to rotate on in the tumbler. There should be an internal recess to contain the fly to prevent it from blocking the full cock notch. Is the tumbler set fully near the plate to prevent the fly from getting out of that recess? The hammer will have to come off and the tumbler removed to look at the side of the tumbler that holds the fly.

I see the pin hole for the fly to rotate on in the tumbler. There should be an internal recess to contain the fly to prevent it from blocking the full cock notch. Is the tumbler set fully near the plate to prevent the fly from getting out of that recess? The hammer will have to come off and the tumbler removed to look at the side of the tumbler that holds the fly.
yes that is what I thought also. I cant do that and I saw on u tube where there are special tools for the springs. sounds like you have done something like that

Yes, @SPQR70AD, I have taken a few locks apart. I do recommend the mainspring vise to remove the mainspring. I also recommend the gunsmith screwdriver sets to get blades that fit the slots to take thee lock apart. You will need a pin punch the diameter of the square post on the hammer side of the tumbler and a block to drive the tumbler from the hammer. Some people make a square punch to drive the tumbler and hammer apart.

The most recent issue (August 2023) of "Muzzle Blasts" has an article on polishing a flint lock. While the lock pictured is a different model with the fly on the outside of the tumbler, the article does a good job of explaining how to take the lock apart for polishing. Your lock is a much simpler lock than the one in the article.

For some reason or other the fly is not staying only in the vicinity of the half cock notch. Is the tumbler fit to be almost flush with the lock plate to keep the fly in the recess? Is the hammer properly seated on its square post to pull the tumbler properly in place?

Yes, the L&R possible replacement lock will be much better than the lock you have, it will cost about as much as a repair on your lock, maybe a bit more and may not be available for your rifle. Who is the manufacturer? The rifle has Italian proof marks on the barrel.

The gunsmith at The Log Cabin in Lodi OH can repair your lock at reasonable cost. I have use them for repairs many times.
that is exactly what I am looking for but I will contact L+R first to see about a new lock. thanks a lot for the info

Yes, @SPQR70AD, I have taken a few locks apart. I do recommend the mainspring vise to remove the mainspring. I also recommend the gunsmith screwdriver sets to get blades that fit the slots to take thee lock apart. You will need a pin punch the diameter of the square post on the hammer side of the tumbler and a block to drive the tumbler from the hammer. Some people make a square punch to drive the tumbler and hammer apart.

The most recent issue (August 2023) of "Muzzle Blasts" has an article on polishing a flint lock. While the lock pictured is a different model with the fly on the outside of the tumbler, the article does a good job of explaining how to take the lock apart for polishing. Your lock is a much simpler lock than the one in the article.

For some reason or other the fly is not staying only in the vicinity of the half cock notch. Is the tumbler fit to be almost flush with the lock plate to keep the fly in the recess? Is the hammer properly seated on its square post to pull the tumbler properly in place?

Yes, the L&R possible replacement lock will be much better than the lock you have, it will cost about as much as a repair on your lock, maybe a bit more and may not be available for your rifle. Who is the manufacturer? The rifle has Italian proof marks on the barrel.
all it says on the barrel is made in Italy. it is a gorgeous lightweight rifle. it is like a Penn style rifle with a hooked breech. maybe Sile made it. can I find L+R on the web or do I need to know what the L and R stand for

thanks to all of you guys for taking the time to help I will look into L+R. but what does the L and R stand for?

thanks to all of you guys for taking the time to help I will look into L+R. but what does the L and R stand for?
L&R stands for L&R Lock Company. They make a replacement line of locks for about five different production guns. While they say replacement, there will be some fitting required as well as a tune up of the lock as delivered.

https://lr-rpl.com/

Back