• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock lubrication?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What have you found to be a good oil or grease?
Wonders never cease, but I use "gun oil". 🙂
What I have found is "oil's" need to be re-fresh'd more frequently than most folks think.
And "grease" can actualy slow an action down.
Now here in Minn, we have major seasonal temp swings.. a single "oil" doesn't work the same at 90+ degrees as it does @ -5.
So it's Hoppes in the summer and Remington gun oil in the fall.
(all mine are cap locks)
In that time span, the lock and trigger get fresh oil at least monthly and a full de-grease and fresh oil every other month.
Moral of the story is;
It's not really about the oil that's used,, it's about using an oil in a proper manner.
Us old people call it gun care.

Last edited:
Jeez, I’ve read these all and think wow, I’m out of step. Rifleman is the only one I see that is like me.
Mink oil and olive oil been working for me these thirty years

I purchased a unmentionable a few years back it came with a product called Go Juice made by a company ALG Defense. It does what they say it does. Stays where you put it. I don’t waste it on the unmentionable i apply it to the lock internals. I’ve skipped cleaning the inside occasionally after cleaning the barrel and face of the lock with boiling water. When I remove the lock it remains where placed zero corrosion. It’s the lightest grease I’ve found. They also make a thin lube that creaps into the seems and remains even after 25 shots that gets the barrel and lock hot. Other lubricant moves off. Stuff was very expensive I bought one bottle each but I have had it for 4 years maybe more and still have most of it left you use it sparingly. It’s designed for unmentionable platforms where cycling rate is high. I recently found it on Amazon the price was much better still pricey for 4 oz but I’m sold on it and it lasts! I generally do remove the lock during cleaning but because I found it still in place and the lock was realatively clean I comfortable skipping removal if I’m pressed for time. Has a light purple color. I like the fine oil too get one of those needle droppers and apply that first to All rotating parts followed by the grease. Nice stuff but not cheap.
D6727886-B673-4D16-BC28-13D1607E6666.jpeg

If you shoot often enough and clean your guns regularly then most oils and greases will work just fine. It's when the gun is stored for some time that some oils or greases will gum up or solidify and render the gun inoperable. When I put up a gun for a long while I clean it thoroughly and LIGHTLY oil and grease it where it needs it.

Most gun locks are BEGGING for some lube of any kind. I've even seen some that actually squeak .. Now that's desperation lock language. Eeeeek..........No call for that. When I took a totally rusted lock , it couldn't even talk any more,. It works now , after a mechanical cleaning and lube.

I actually tried Bore Butter once. The lock didn't like the thicker material. I have inherited several bottles of lightweight oil like 3in1. So, I just use that. I work the lock then take a Q-tip and remove the excess. I stain and coat all the mortises with linseed oil so it pretty much keeps the oil out of the wood.

Walt

P.S.: I was at a shooting match where one of the members was having problems with his lock. We removed it and it was DRY! I asked him when was the last time he oiled his lock. His reply was "Oil my lock?"

Grease has no place on the inside of a lock unless you want to slow it down. Any good light oil will work. Nye Oil is what I use, a synthetic sperm oil used by watch makers for many years.

Since I never heard of Nye Oil I looked it up and found this one oz bottle for $39.00 <NYE Synthetic Clock Oil>:eek::eek:o_O. At that price I will continue to use my low budget discount good gun oil that usually goes on sale for less than $10. I also use 3 in 1 oil:thumb::ThankYou:.

It is not inexpensive. I spelled it wrong though: the oil I use is Ny Oil. A 4oz bottle should cost around $14. I use it to oil the inside of locks and actions. Any light oil will work however.

Attachments

• download.jpeg.jpg
    download.jpeg.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 0
I use red anti-seize on spring and sear contact points. Ed's Red for general lubrication.
I use a scrap of brain tanned buckskin to wipe off excess oil, no worry about oil soaking a stock. Also handy to wipe down the exterior of the gun after cleaning.
A friend recently asked me to check out the trigger on his rifle. Brought it home, removed the lock. Not a trace of oil or any lubrication at all. Lock bolts tightened WAY too tight. I properly lubed it, returned it with the much improved trigger as "fixed", to the happy owner.
No charge, of course.

Just a tip. Synthetic automatic transmission fluid was made as a whale oil substitute. Darn good lock lube.

For lube ML, modern or NFA stuff Mobil 1 0-20 synthetic, grease for protection RIG, Grease for lube Synthetic Mobil grease. Sometimes Lucas Red and Tacky but I clean my firearms after use not every 20-30 times of use.

If you cannot find use what you got but clean every time you shoot it. Lazy types are usually the ones with the problem 2 days before the deer opener and can't blame themselves. Made lots of money every year of them.

Back