• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie questions - inletting a swamped barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am building my first flintlock long rifle - an Issac Haines with a 38" Rice swamped barrel. I would like some guidance on desired fits and good workmanship. The stock is a red maple blank from Dunlap Woodcrafts.
  • The fit to the stock is not perfect. I've got a few small areas that I know I need to patch, but there a lot of areas with a 0.003/0.006" clearance to the barrel (regions marked with blue tape). I have also read in one of my books that there can be some wood swelling with the application of finish. What fit is considered good workmanship?

Thank you

For a first build a .003” to .006” gap in the barrel inlet would be fine to my eye. The finish will not swell the wood as much as the finish build up will. As far as fit I try to make the parts look like the tree grew around them, but to often you can tell it didn’t. :)

Thanks for your replies. I'll re-post the images when I get privileges.

Can experienced builders consistently get their fits under 0.003"

Thank you Phil, wiscoaster, Eric & billraby. That make me feel a bit better. What is your judgment of what gap size is OK and what should b corrected?

If you make a big mistake, perhaps in your lock inletting, don't stack up shims, glue in one oversized piece of matching wood with the grain orientated the same as the molding and inlet the lock into this larger piece. You can find an ingenious way to clamp this patch into place tightly and have an invisible glue line. On my largest patch I actually blackened the patch with soot and kept fitting it until it was perfect.

I guess people are tired of seeing these pictures I have posted them so any times.

Bad pre-carve lock inlet, patched to re-inlet.

lock fix  7.JPG

Done so you can't see the patch, a little of the glue line shows at the tail of the lock, I can cover that up with dark leather dye and make it look like a wood grain but haven't gotten around to it.

finished lock molding.JPG

This is an L&R lock swap on a TC, the lock was smaller than the mortise so I stacked up shims to fill the gap at the tail, they are VERY visible.

finished Renegads 001.JPG

A single shim is OK for filling a minor gap, make it wedge shaped and tap it in lightly with some glue in the offending area.

tang shims 006.JPG

I stain the area that has been shimmed darker to hide the shims.

Same rifle finished.

.40 tang shims.JPG

Erik -

Thank you for the pictures and comments. I've used a similar technique, except using soft pencil lead to fit dovetails and tenons.

Latest posts

Back