• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Block affects on accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pripley

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Are there any concerns, advice about the use of loading blocks on the patch and resulting accuracy of the shots?
I suspect that a loading block should not be too tight, where there is stress being put on the patch.
Will excess pressure or prolonged storage in a loading block diminish the effect of a patch?

If the block is not sealed well it will leach off the patch lube, also if left in the blocks for prolonged periods there is a real chance of picking up grit and grime that could adversly affect the condition of the bore.

A new loading block should be 'fitted' to your ball/patch combo. This is done with sandpaper inside the hole. I rub the inside wood the beeswax. Other guys don't, personal choice. These are for hunting. If, repeat IF there is loss of accuracy it will not be noticed by the deer. Depending on type of lube the blocks can be left loaded for a long time. Others might get moldy and yuckky. And, as said, they can pick up dirt.

I like using loading blocks. As you “grow” in muzzle loader shooting, you will use less and less stuff.
But a loading block seems not to be on the list new shooters have. When hunting, I have a small leather pouch that I carry the block in, but not at the bench.

IMG_4856.jpg

Rifleman1776 said:
A new loading block should be 'fitted' to your ball/patch combo.

This advice gets to the root of my situation. I am working up ball/patch/lube/powder combinations and my loading blocks were getting to be a concern. A few thousandths of an inch here and there in ball and patch make a big difference in using the block. I believe I will forego the use of the block until I find my gun's sweet spot and adjust the blocks to the ball and patch as stated.

I only load the block the day before I use them and I keep them in a plastic bag to keep the grime off.

Thanks to all for the great responses and pictures! :hatsoff:

The block pictured is nice. But, personally, I see no use for the handle. Extra weight and space consuming, IMHO. And, for a hunt only a couple extra balls will ever be needed. Pictured is how I make them.

bulletblock.jpg
[/img]

I've never found that it made any difference in accuracy. I use a small wood 2 holer similar to 1776s. and cut a recess to fit the barrel on the bottom side.
Some time ago i bought an old .36 cal. and with it was a block made of several layers of leather. Still has the 6 PRBs in it. Another idea would be to use 1/2 or 5/8" rubber (the stuff used for shoe soles and available from a shoe shop)doesn't absorb and won't alter the patch or ball. This rubber also makes the best jaws for your vice, will hold any shape and won't mark the nicest wood finish.
Deadeye

I always asumed those things were for holding bullets so they don't roll around when you are loading a pistol.
:redface:
Guess I could have just asked someone years ago and saved myself many years of misinformation.

ebiggs, thanks for the note about the little leather bag ... jeez, i feel dumb for not having thought of that

:doh:

keeps the funk off the patches, keeps everything handy ... cools

MSW said:
ebiggs, thanks for the note about the little leather bag ... jeez, i feel dumb for not having thought of that

:doh:

keeps the funk off the patches, keeps everything handy ... cools

It would also keep the lube from drying out so fast. I am afraid I will have to copy that one!

I use them mostly for small game hunts, though I also have them along for big game.

With small game, we're talking small calibers and lots of shooting. My 30 cal blocks hold 8 balls each and I carry three of them. And I've had days when I had to stop and reload a block to finish the day. My 32 and 36 cals carry 6 balls, and likewise, I carry three or four of each and go through them.

Why? Just try fumbling those little balls onto a patch with cold wet hands or gloves. Better bring about 100 balls to get two shots off, because the rest of them are going to be lost in the grass at your feet.

Big game hunting I carry a 2-ball block, and seldom need the second hole.

Accuracy? Dunno, because I do most of my range shooting and all of my field shooting with them. The point being to get used to them for hunts.

I've found no difference in accuracy w/ a loading block VS whatever is used. When making a loading block, bbl size is important because the PRB protrudes from the bottom surface of the loading block not quite it's radius so it centers in the bore. Too small a center distance between PRBs interferes w/ adjacent PRBs.That's just the way I do it.....Fred

cynthialee said:
I always asumed those things were for holding bullets so they don't roll around when you are loading a pistol.
:redface:
Guess I could have just asked someone years ago and saved myself many years of misinformation.

Don't feel badly. That is part of the ml game. Most of us go around for years, many years sometimes, full of misinformation.
And we are always happy to share it. :wink:

Latest posts

Back