• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loaded question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoung14

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone here returned to percussion guns after going to flintlocks? If so, your reasons, please.

I don`t have a flintlock yet so I can`t really answer your question, but I have returned to percussion guns and black powder ALOT of times after going to center fires. :bow: :surrender:

Yes, but not happily.
My shoulders are torn up (rotator cuff). For various reasons they will never be the same as they used to be. My Rev. period style .45 rifle and my .54 Jaeger and my Brown Bess just cannot be lifted by me anymore. Nor can my perc. target rifle. But, I can lift and shoot my wife's perc. half-breed Seneca target rifle and that is what I shoot in competition. In the woods I do carry (most of the time, went back to the dark side once this year) my new JB flint fowler.

I have had nothing but percussion guns, two to be exact. I had a T/C Seneca, my first BP gun. I loved it and shot several deer with it, but sold it and bought my second, a T/C Pro Hunter Encore with 50 cal, .243 and 30-06 barrels and scopes. Two days ago I gave it all to my son.So here I sit...out +/- $2000 with no gun. But I joined this forum to learn. Already have two BP pistols, but want a muzzleloader rifle. I see this question just when I am debating the question of percussion vs. flint. Your question and the responses will help someone like me. BTW, from studying this forum for two weeks I have decided to hunt for the remainder of my days with a PRB. Makes me feel historic to say that !!

If you already shoot and reload for modern rifle cartridges, the learning curve for percussion rifles simply is not much of a stretch. The learning curve for shooting flintlocks is not much more difficult, but its best done when an experienced flintlock shooter is around to help you learn things that still are not written down.

That advice may not be much of the help you ask, but I would rather you take the time to go to a club, or range, and ask questions, watch how both guns are loaded, cleaned and prepared to fire, than to make your decision on my say-so or that of any other members. I spent three years asking questions, and watching other shooters before I bought my first rifle- and was cheap- not what I actually wanted. I turned that lemon into lemonade, by using it to teach myself how to tune percussion locks, and guns. Then I ordered the gun I wanted, but still in percussion, and only 2 years later had it converted from Percussion to flint. I have never regretted that decision. :hatsoff:

paulvallandigham said:
If you already shoot and reload for modern rifle cartridges, the learning curve for percussion rifles simply is not much of a stretch. The learning curve for shooting flintlocks is not much more difficult, but its best done when an experienced flintlock shooter is around to help you learn things that still are not written down.

That advice may not be much of the help you ask, but I would rather you take the time to go to a club, or range, and ask questions, watch how both guns are loaded, cleaned and prepared to fire, than to make your decision on my say-so or that of any other members. I spent three years asking questions, and watching other shooters before I bought my first rifle- and was cheap- not what I actually wanted. I turned that lemon into lemonade, by using it to teach myself how to tune percussion locks, and guns. Then I ordered the gun I wanted, but still in percussion, and only 2 years later had it converted from Percussion to flint. I have never regretted that decision. :hatsoff:

I thought for a minute that I had made the mistake of causing the thread to go off topic, until your last two sentences. Thanks for the info.

I shoot both. Flints for fun and dry days. Percusion for serious hunting in wet weather or competative target shooting. But with the eyes getting older I don't do much competative target shooting any more! :idunno:

I have both perc and flint and probably won't ever go 100% either way. Both are a load of fun and somedays I just feel like one or the other. I will say that flint has something pretty special about it, but I have a real connection to my Hawken and can't see letting that one ever sit out a full hunting season.

Net, I don't see any reason to have to choose on a permanent basis. I think if we polled the people on this site the vast majority have multiple guns (perhaps many multiples!) So I think I'll keep a mix in the gun cabinet.

I have a couple of percussion rifles that I have not converted to flint but don't shoot them anymore. I will probably never return to percussion.

I started out with flint, used it only for 15-ish years. Within the last couple years I have bought a couple percussion guns. I like them both. Which one I shoot depends on my mood. Both of my regular guns (1 flint, 1 capper) are tack drivers off the bench but I tend to shoot the cap gun more accurately off hand. Then again, it fits me better and has a better trigger.

I shoot them both. Small game I like my .40 Vincent percussion. Or a JB Carolina flint 20 gauge.
For deer its a Tip Curtis Virginia sytle or a Percussion GPR converted from flint with drum and nipple. Then theres the old New Englander I've had for 25 years not to mention a Mississippi .58

Love em all

Bob

I enjoy shooting too much to see any virtue in picking one over the other. I shoot both, and happily. Heck, I've got three safes full of modern guns, and I shoot them too.

I started with cap, went to flint and now have both. I shoot percussion 90% of the time now. I look at my rifles as hunting pieces first. Even though I will punch 100's more holes in paper as I will deer hides, I shoot paper to make sure that I can hit my target when in the field.
I prefer percussion because I feel it's slightly more reliable and I have never has a miss fire in the field. I have limited time to hunt and I want to put the odds in my favor. Plus I just like it a whole heckuva lot.

I am a gun lover. :grin: I have and shoot everything! If it goes bang I shoot it.
I could/would never be a 100% for any! They are just too much enjoyment to limit yourself to just one type. :thumbsup:
I have been seriously looking at match locks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hmm:

I've gone back & forth for 30 years. Right now, I'm back to flinters.

Once, while living in a state of depravity, I even bought a plastic rifle. Almost immediately I regretted the immorality of that decision; I repudiated that practice, cleansed my soul & returned to this house within a month.

I have a Hawken Percussion in 54cal and a Lyman flintlock Trade rifle in 54 cal also. Love the percussion after working thru powder ignition issues. The Flintlock went to the range once. I had a flasih in the pan episode, a real flare-up. Not sure of my mistake, but in no hurry to take it out again. Percussion seems to suit me just fine.

Back