• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bare balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't do it with my rifles due to the leading problem. I don't like using lead fouling remover with a bronze brush. If speed is the issue make a loading block for patched round balls.

Since my accuracy isn't bad is there any negatives to doing this in a hunting perspective, mainly follow up shots or back up shots ( I limit my shots to 50 yards anyways)?
That's a very old and common technique for quick second shots and as long as your using it for just that your fine.
Just don't fall in the rabbit hole though, keep that practiced accurate prb combo load as the primary goal

I had a set up. A ball board, and a short starter that had a powder measure drilled in it. I kept the leg of the starter in one hole in my bag so I could pull them both together.
Charge, cover with the board, remove starter and wack ball, leave starter in hole and return it to my bag, ram home, prime and shoot, 25 seconds

I shoot bare / unpatched balls in my cannon and mortar, but that's for a different reason. I WANT the blow-by (windage) to happen. Those projectiles are made of steel or, in the case of my mortar, tennis balls or beer cans filled with concrete and wouldn't deform if they were obstructed by something in the bore. BIG boom then!

Latest posts

Back