• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1st time shooting a flintlock update, Pt. 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a new post with an update to my original post.
Got to the range today. I know this may upset the "purist" but my old eyes can't see those blackened sights very well so I switched out to Williams "Fire sights", fiber optic sights, wow, what a difference that made. I could actually see the sights and my target.

Sighted the new sights in at 25 yards with 50 gr. Schuetzen 3F with a Hornady 490 RB with a .015 lubed patch. ( yes, I tried some ball ammo also as recommended) but the goal is to find a hunting load. That load did just about 1 hole, sighted in 1 in. high. Good mild practice load.

Moved over to 50 yards, here's my results...........
70 gr. of 3F with Hornady 490 RB and .015 patch gave me 2" groups. ......... 80 gr. of 3F with a 320 gr. T/C Maxi Ball gave me about 2 3/4" groups .........and 90 gr. of 3F with the 385 gr. Hornady Great Plains Bullet also gave me about 2 3/4" groups. I tried a .018 patch with the RB and it was way too tight.
With the different charges, all 3 loads gave me the same point of impact, about 1 1/2" high at 50 yards which is what I was hoping to achieve. I'm sure I can tighten up those groups with more shooting time. All shooting was with a sturdy sandbag rest.

As you can see, I did listen to all the recommendations in the other post and I think I have found what this gun likes. Barely flinched if at all, concentrated on sights and target. Everything went kaboom right away except for 2 times I forgot to pick the touch hole after loading the main charge. Picked the hole and they went off on the 2nd try. Apparently, at least with this gun, picking that flash hole does make a difference. Always used 4F in the pan; next time out may try 3F and see if there's a big difference. To keep things fair, I swabbed the barrel and wiped the flash pan after every 3 shots.

Once again, I'd like to thank all that responded to my original post, I've learned a lot and I know I need to learn more. But, I'm having fun with this new adventure and I'd like to thank the member "Jappo" for selling me the Traditions Woodsmen Hawken 50 cal. ( hope that's allowed to mention another member)

I'll keep shooting throughout the year, but today really raised my confidence level. I think I'll be ready for those deer next Jan for PA. late flintlock season.

Congratulations...You're on your way..!!
If it matters to you, and it may not....I can assure you that if you continue to shoot from a rest and pay attention to your technique, your groups will tighten. Whenever I'm testing load combinations it's been my observation that over the course of several range sessions, groups invariably shrink ( if the potential is there in the first place of course) the more I use the rest and tighten up my procedures. Proper "Bench technique" is a learned skill set that goes beyond merely laying the barrel over some kind of rest. What you're doing may be sufficient for your purposes and that's fine. To accurately evaluate the potential precision (group size) of your rifle and load combination, learn how to shoot from a rest, practice what you learn, and your groups will shrink.

Congratulations...You're on your way..!!
If it matters to you, and it may not....I can assure you that if you continue to shoot from a rest and pay attention to your technique, your groups will tighten. Whenever I'm testing load combinations it's been my observation that over the course of several range sessions, groups invariably shrink ( if the potential is there in the first place of course) the more I use the rest and tighten up my procedures. Proper "Bench technique" is a learned skill set that goes beyond merely laying the barrel over some kind of rest. What you're doing may be sufficient for your purposes and that's fine. To accurately evaluate the potential precision (group size) of your rifle and load combination, learn how to shoot from a rest, practice what you learn, and your groups will shrink.
I agree, that's what I plan on doing. Thanks for the encouragement.

You are already doing some very fine shooting and yes, practice will shrink those groups even more. I do a lot of bench shooting and checking loads, etc. But I always finish up with some shooting from hunting positions since I won't have a bench in the bush. From a hunting position you may find the poi a little off from what you shot from the bench.

Back