• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Limburgher

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me with a problem. I need to find a good recipe that makes good use of Limburger cheese. Yes, i want a good central european recipe that uses this cheese. best would be something ethnic in origan.

Great catfish bait? Mix with hog brains and fill your stringer with good fillets. 2 x 1 brains and cheese thin with egg whites (not yokes) and thicken with pancake flour. Use sponge with hook don't eat smells bad but you'll have all the fish you want to cook.
Fox :thumbsup:

Now get your fish frying pan out lots of cooking to do. This might be more native than European.

Regarding Limburger...other than eating it on bread or crackers, my mother would occasionally have it, when I was a kid, on a baked potato. I have also heard of it being served on "rounds" of sweet or red onion, or apple and pear slices.

On the few occasions that I have had limburger, I like to add a smear of a whole grain mustard...it seeems to balance out the strong taste and odor, however, the mustard does not overwhelm the cheese.

I imagine, as it is a soft cheese, you could also make a filo dough wrapper and bake it, like brie :v

This all reminds me of a recipe I once read for roasted beaver tail...

First, you need to scrub the beaver tail, marinate overnight in wine.

The next day, salt and pepper, and tie to a cedar plank.

Roast the planked tail, and baste often with butter. When the skin splits and turns a nice golden brown, it's done.

Remove the tail from the board, throw away, and eat the cedar plank. :shake: :bull: :blah: :youcrazy:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)...

Put it in somebodys heater vent in their car or under the seat.Did this to my boss.He didnt figure it out till winter was over :haha:

THey would enjoy it too much here. All i have to do is smoke my pipe and i can get a room inspection within 20 minutes.

The only way I have ever had it is on Rye bread
with onion in a sandwich. If I were to bake with
it, my wife would most likely throw me, the cheese and the stove out the door. She won't
kiss me for 2 days now just eating a sandwich. :rotf: :rotf:
snake-eyes

Hi Bezoar !

Well... you like > Limgurger< - cheese, Ha ?
Okay - give me a week or so, the4n I will send you some German Limburger -recipies.

regards
Karl

Are you searching for your family heritage?? My grandpa LOVED limburgher. My dad hated it and hated it when grandpa brought the stuff over. My grandpa passed away when I was quite young. 45 years later I thought I would check out what the love of limburgher was all about. Unfortunately, I think it stinks real bad and doesn't have much taste. Now, grandpa's cigars, that's different-----

In the building where my office is located there is a small deli called Nelson Cheese. If I am in my office in the morning while they are cooking soups and sauces and frying bacon, then by noon I can't stay out of the place. They have a sandwich on their board called the Old Timer (I think they are about to rename it the Riley/MN). It is limburgher and liverwurst on pumpernickle rye. A few rings of sweet onion and some "bavarian mustard"-kind of a special sauce they make up. As Chef John (local celeb)would say "Good Eatin". :grin:

Riley,
That sounds like a great sandwich...I like
liverwurst and it would blend well with onion
and limburger cheese. Probably work well with
braunswiger(sp) also. Can't add to much pepper
but forget any salt. IMO
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

I put it in the blue cheese catagory. a little goes a long way. I bet a blackened hamburger with a little bit with some red onion and a little ketchup would be very tasty.

PH,
You are right it is a strong cheese maybe
a lot stronger than Bleu cheese but I am a big
fan of both. I think for sure what turns folks
off to Limburger is the smell, and as much as I
like it, it is much better in the mouth than
under the nose. IMO
snake-eyes

Latest posts

Back