• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's talk BALLS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more you can do on your own the better off you'll be. Cast your own. Same as making your bowstrings, and fletching your arrows. You control your destiny.

I cast my own roundballs using either my .530 double cavity Lee or my .535 Callahan. I do have a bunch of Hornady .530 balls that I bought on clearance at Walmart years ago, but I rarely shoot them. They're move of my stash type ammo in case I ever need them, which I won't.

So...I would like to know what everyone is shooting in terms of brand of round ball....I am fairly new to the flintlock scenes and I am just cracking the surface... Currently I have only shot the Hornady .490..and have some .495 to see which works better. However what other brands or sources provides round balls.. I see Kibler sell them. and a whole slew of others.... and there is also the subject casting your own BALLS.. Something which I am also considering....In these times ..I would really love to support the "Mom and Pop" vendors that can provide quality round balls... I do not mind paying extra to help support these types of business....

I am currently shooting a Kibler Woodrunner .50... still playing with the exact powder load.. Right now 70-80 grains seem to be the sweet spot.. but that is only shooting one brand of round ball. hence this email...I would love to open this up for discussion.. Especially with thoughts on casting your own lead round balls..verses buying them ....I have access to good 99.9% pure lead at a very affordable price.. Sorry, cant tell that secret now... maybe later time ..

Sooo... what everyone's thoughts on brands of Round balls......???
I have been casting my own balls for a while. I have a lifetimes supply of lead and I shoot a lot so it’s not worth me buying balls. Plus it’s rewarding using something that you made. Especially when you shoot an animal with a ball you cast. Kinda like tying your own flies

Hornady .530 swaged balls load easier in my Renegade .54 but my Lee mold casts at .532 and are just as accurate and a lot cheaper! A couple pounds more of force to get them down is no big deal.

Guess nobody thinks about "lead fumes" when casting?

Actually, it was a consideration for me. Kept my pot as low as I could to have molten lead (rather than trying to boil it ;) ) and I usually wore the same mask and gloves as if I was working the forge to minimize exposure that much more. After all, I want to enjoy this hobby for quite some time to come :)

She was probably just a "little" pregnant. :)

Guess nobody thinks about "lead fumes" when casting?
Folks squawk about lead paint but nothing about fumes?
The lead fumes WILL make your babies be born neked!! (with no cloths on) :eek: ;)
I am sure anyone with half a brain takes precautions regarding lead fumes.

I've shot Hornady's and Speers in .440 and .530. Can't say I could tell any difference. I also cast for these cal. and haven't bought any for decades.

I usually cast my own. Got a deal on Hornady .395 and haven’t needed to cast for that gun yet. 7 boxes down 2 to go!

I've always cast everything I shoot, and that spans around 58 years at least. I mostly use Lee molds but also have Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, T/C and Tanner molds.

I started shooting muzzleloader back in the 1980s. I bought my first batch then i picked up a lee lead pot and a mold. I now cast everything from .36 to .54. I like to make as much of my stuff as i can

Casting? Nope! My Dad taught me proper casting starting in 1948 and over a period of many years continued the process; casting for rifle and revolver. These days I let Hornady provide me with SWAGED RB as my back won't let me sit at the bench too long without pain. Six years of football eventually takes it's toll.

Latest posts

Back