• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Less interest in my caplocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why is it that now that I have a couple of flintlocks I am finding myself having less interest in my caplocks, even though I have several very nice ones?

Welcome to the addiction partner! Next thing you know you'll be wearing dead animal skins and calling everyone Pilgrim! :wink: :rotf:

Col. Batguano said:
Because as we get older we're more interested in napping. :rotf:
Every man to his own but give me a percussion gun any day not the hassle has with a flintlock .A flintlock is ok for the odd shot but when you are shooting between 50 to 100 shots a session I need a gun that shoots every time a flintlock cannot guarantee me that
Feltwad

As a long time living historian, and living as I do in Arizona ( during my period of interest, 1850's, Arizona was actually New Mexico territory)I carry an original M1841 rifle with a Bill Large barrel.or a J&S full stock rifle, also sporting a BL bbl., and on occations I carry a Colts M1848 ( 2nd gen) revolver. As for those old flint locks, well they are a real PIA out here :td: .
So I suggest that Mr electric pull up stakes, and go back to the east where there seems to more of as afinity for them things.
Just me feelings.

The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

Maybe you have the wrong flintlocks.

Someone else said, "because you prefer the challenge." Again, wrong flinter? Wrong practices?

My flintlocks are far more reliable than my caplocks. And on the VERY, very, rare occasion they they don't go bang, it's been FAR more simple to clear/correct the problem. And usually it's because I skipped a step in the loading process, usually the one where I leave a coat hanger wire vent pick in the flash hole while loading.
Clearing a plugged flash channel, or pedersoli style patent breach chamber, is a ROYAL P.I.A.

Irish Mick said:
As a long time living historian, and living as I do in Arizona ( during my period of interest, 1850's, Arizona was actually New Mexico territory)I carry an original M1841 rifle with a Bill Large barrel.or a J&S full stock rifle, also sporting a BL bbl., and on occations I carry a Colts M1848 ( 2nd gen) revolver. As for those old flint locks, well they are a real PIA out here :td: .
So I suggest that Mr electric pull up stakes, and go back to the east where there seems to more of as afinity for them things.
Just me feelings.

The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

I like flinters, I also like doing local history. A flinter just doesn't fit well with your time.
how sad :haha:

Feltwad said:
Col. Batguano said:
Every man to his own but give me a percussion gun any day not the hassle has with a flintlock .A flintlock is ok for the odd shot but when you are shooting between 50 to 100 shots a session I need a gun that shoots every time a flintlock cannot guarantee me that
Feltwad
What??? :shocked2:

Irish Mick said:
Just me feelings.

The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

I live here. Why are the a PIA "out here"? seems they would do better with our low humidity making the soupy prime a nn issue.

WHEN (not if) I get the $$ for a nice flinter I can see myself going 90% flint. My interst is dan'l boone era and rev war :idunno: MY Traditions (or cva?) is ok but I want one that is perfectly aligned to self knapp etc etc.

A caplock and a flintlock walk into a bar. both order a whiskey.
The cap lock say; I'll have mine "neat".

The flintlock says; I'll have mine on the "rocks"... :rotf:

I live in Arizona too and I agree with you azmntman.

The dry air doesn't cause any problems unique to flintlocks and it does keep the soupy priming in the pan issue at bay.

In fact, when I was doing my tests on whether very high humidity could cause a problem in a fouled pan I had to create a special sealed container to get the levels of humidity many of our members have to deal with.
(Yes, very high humidity can cause the fouling to absorb the water in the air and yes, once this happens, the wet fouling will contaminate the priming powder.
High humidity without any fouling present does not have any effect on the priming so if the area they live in has high humidity, all they have to do is keep the pan clean.)

When you find flint, there is no such thing as a "nice" caplock anymore.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't shoot a flintlock, you're not muzzleloading. They are so far and beyond in enjoyment to any caplock, and take a certain skill set to use.

Smokey Plainsman said:
When you find flint, there is no such thing as a "nice" caplock anymore.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you don't shoot a flintlock, you're not muzzleloading. They are so far and beyond in enjoyment to any caplock, and take a certain skill set to use.
Has I said every man to his own but for what you quoted is a bit one sided concerning muzzle loading. I have in 68 years of shooting muzzle loaders and have shot or owned every known ignitions of black powder guns that load from the muzzle and I have always considered myself a muzzle loader.
Feltwad

To each their own...ABSOLUTELY.
To answer the original question, I've found flintlocks to be simply "more interesting".
Once I had acquired a rudimentary knowledge base to keep my flintlocks in good order and functioning as they should...I have to say that I also have pretty much lost interest in my caplocks. I started caplock shooting just over 40 yrs ago. My caplocks don't give me any trouble at all. In fact shooting them is pretty much like shooting any of my centerfire rifles except for the differences in external ballistics. Finally got a flintlock just 2 yrs ago. I have 2 of them now and don't take the caplocks out much at all anymore. I'm one of those folks always on the lookout for another "Ideal" muzzleloading rifle to add to my collection, and I can guarantee it won't be a caplock. Not bragging or complaining. just sharing my own experience. Yours may be different.

Damned if I know, but since getting rocklocks the only cap locks I use are the rifled muskets in competition and the cap and balls. When I go a hunting its flintlocks ever time !! They are more addictive than good Isle of Islay single malts !!

Feltwad said:
Col. Batguano said:
Feltwad

Get a good flintlock. ;-)

This is after 30 shots without cleaning - just loading and firing (skeet) No wiping or cleaning (which just pushes crud & moisture into the breech and flash channel). No delays or missfires.

6pR6Nfim.jpg

I have two caplock rifles. One hasn't been shot in over five years and the other more than 15 years. Flintlocks get it done.

I've had plenty of bad caps, plugged nipples,
and missfires with percussion caps over the years.

Latest posts

Back