• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leggin and moccasin how to

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first go - I am preparing to cut out a pair or two of Mocs and a set of leggins from moose hide.
The hide has a good bit of stretch to it so I’m wondering should it be stretched tight for a period of time before cutting out the patterns or just have at it and allow the stretch to accommodate flexing?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
I would pre stretch the hide a bit and construct the mocs and leggings a bit smaller than what you need, they will be a bear to get on but will eventually form to a good fit. Once made soak them in water, put on and wear till dry you might need to do this a few times once you achieve the fit you want let dry very well and grease them with a good leather conditioner, I use the same thing that I grease patches with-Olive oil, un-salted lard and bees wax this will help preserve the leather and keep it flexible. I mainly make mine from tanned deer or elk and they hold up well.

I’ve heard of pre-stretching, but I think it may be more important to place the long axis of your moccasin pattern either parallel with the spine of the hide, or exactly perpendicular to it. The leather will stretch some as the moccasin conforms to your foot, but it will stretch evenly. If you place it at an angle, stretching will be uneven, and it may not look or feel as good on your foot.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Very helpful guys, thanks for your responses. I will post pics of the finished products.
I just lay them out and cut ,I wouldn’t worry about them stretching.one thing I do is put the ruff side out especially on the bottom soul so they aren’t so sloppy .enjoy your project.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Walt - I’ll get started next week.
Do you (or others) add anything for an insole?
I will sometimes put a felt insole in them ,I’ve seen where some put a linguist rubber on sole to make them last and some put in short rubber boots in the winter.You put a good wool sock on and put on a rubber boot on they are very warm in winter to wear.

I’ve heard of pre-stretching, but I think it may be more important to place the long axis of your moccasin pattern either parallel with the spine of the hide, or exactly perpendicular to it. The leather will stretch some as the moccasin conforms to your foot, but it will stretch evenly. If you place it at an angle, stretching will be uneven, and it may not look or feel as good on your foot.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Along with that make your moccs so tight you can barely get you foot in. Then take a walk on a trail. Before lunch time you moccs will feel like bare feet.
I made a pair un stretched at my first voo picked up the name Duck foot.
Learned my lesson

No expert here but a couple of things I've learned along the way...

1. If your mocs stretch out too much, you can always resew the seam and take them in. If you cut them too small, and they don't stretch to your foot, well...you've just made potential mocs into small pouch leather instead.
2. If you're going to wear your mocs in snowy conditions, I wouldn't grease them. While the grease may keep the dampness out for a while, the mocs will eventually wet through. In my experience, greased mocs take longer to dry out than untreated ones. This is a big consideration when trying to dry your mocs in the field while on a winter trip. For winter trips just be sure you have a couple of pair so you can wear one while drying the other.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Yes I have watched a “wee bit of history”
Tough bird that guy is.
The cutting and sewing is straight forward but the little nuisances of working with leather are what I am learning from you all.
I intend to make pucker toe style Mocs so not sure how to double sole them except to ad an insert.

Yes I have watched a “wee bit of history”
Tough bird that guy is.
The cutting and sewing is straight forward but the little nuisances of working with leather are what I am learning from you all.
I intend to make pucker toe style Mocs so not sure how to double sole them except to ad an insert.
If you look at the Arrow boot above it shows a double sole, you just cut an outline of your sole say 1/2 in bigger all around and stitch to the outside sole of the moc before sewing up the moc, your good to go, use small close spaced stiches for this, and keep the holes for stitching as small as you can get them. You may have to adjust the height of the edge where it goes on the moc. Once this is figured out and the moc is completely sewn up grease the stitching well, I like strong waxed linen thread for the basic construction of the moc, but will fudge here a bit on the double sole and use artificial sinew or a polyester heavy thread for the attachment.

If you are able to get on You Tube there is a site "Woodland Escape" where the fellow in it, named Peter Kelly, in one of the segments shows how to make moccasins. His tutorial is really good, he makes just about all of what is on the program, from clothes to the cabin, to a birch bark canoe!

Yep he presents a great series to follow, and a very pleasant background of period music.

Latest posts

Back