• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lefty shooting a right handed rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a right-hand world for the most part when it comes to production guns. I will say that there are much more left-hand guns available then there were 40 years ago.

Best option is to get a left-hand gun. It will change your life. But I also realize it's not always an option for everybody.

I shoot a right-hand two-band Enfield simply because there are no left-hand replicas that I'm aware of. I have noticed that if I gently squeeze the cap so that it fits snugly on the nipple they tend to stay together when fired, or at least don't blow apart.

As you say, it's a right-handed world. When I got involved in this hobby/addiction righties was what was available so I bought them & shot them left-handed with no real problems. When times & availability got better I thought I'd treat myself to an honest to goodness left-hand gun. Took that Renegade to the range a dozen times or more & it just never did grow on me. Was just awkward as all get out. So, I differ just a bit on your 'best option' statement. I've tried 2 or 3 other times when lefty guns came up for a good price & it was always the same.

As you say, it's a right-handed world. When I got involved in this hobby/addiction righties was what was available so I bought them & shot them left-handed with no real problems. When times & availability got better I thought I'd treat myself to an honest to goodness left-hand gun. Took that Renegade to the range a dozen times or more & it just never did grow on me. Was just awkward as all get out. So, I differ just a bit on your 'best option' statement. I've tried 2 or 3 other times when lefty guns came up for a good price & it was always the same.
It is weird to not reach all the way over the gun with my left thumb to pull the hammer back when I shoot my lefties. Flinter or percussion, just weird.

I've got a grandson who is a natural righty but is left eye dominant, so he shoots guns and bows left-handed. I put one of those brass cups on my .32 and it seems to do the trick for him. A side benefit is it keeps some of the soot off the barrel and lock, so cleanup is a bit easier. You just have to learn to navigate around the cup when you cap the rifle, but that's a small price to pay, especially if it gets another youngster involved in our hobby.

I'm right-handed but left eye dominant and have shot Rh guns most of my life. I decided several years ago that if i were buying or building a gin it would be a leftie. I've been much more satisfied since making that decision. I will say that for bench work RH (non ML) rifles work well.

Dat's why I build lefties for myself.......
Screenshot_20220713-130215_Gallery.jpg

Being I was blessed to be left-handed and determined enough to live in a right-handed world, I did make a small concession and did buy a left-handed flintlock, whether it was period Correct or not. It's my own vision and Garments that would pay the price for using a right-hand flint lock rifle. I did have a flash guard installed on mine to protect those on my left. We left handed People are almost unique, as the last poll I know of said that one in seven had this unique ability. So count your blessings left-handed people, In spite of overwhelming numbers we have not been overcome.
Squint

I really wish that Kibler would come out with a left hand kit. Have two left hand flintlocks and one caplock currently that I did not build. I would like one of my own build.
Pecatonica River offers several LH kits. My stock and hardware came from them, at the time they didn't have a .40 Rice barrel, so it was sourced elsewhere.

If you shoot a side by side shotgun or double rifle your going to have to deal with caps or flash from a flint. I'm predominantly a lefty, but ambidextrous enough to shoot righthanded when I want to. I shoot a righthand bow lefthanded, a play a righthand guitar, throw, bat and golf righthanded, but I'm more comfortable shooting firearms, writing, and using a hammer lefthanded.

Here's a good video by Cap and Ball where he is testing out the Pedersoli Deluxe SXS 20 ga. flintlock. There are some good slow motion segments starting about the 2:35 mark. I'm going to buy either the standard or deluxe version once Dixie or Midway have them back in stock.

I really wish that Kibler would come out with a left hand kit. Have two left hand flintlocks and one caplock currently that I did not build. I would like one of my own build.
Just got a left hand tenn mtn rifle stock and parts from pecatonica a week ago. The CM 2 stock i got could easily be a grade 3 or 4 as there are curls on 70 to 80% of the wood. takes a bit more work than a kibler though

I shoot hand guns right handed because I'm naturally right handed but I have to shoot long guns left handed because my right eye doesn't work. Took awhile to learn to shoot left side but it can be done. Over the years I think left side naturally with guns, most everything else is right side.

I'm a left handed shooter with all right handed guns. I usually get cap splatter on my right arm, I am curious how other shooters deal with this "lefty" problem. thanks Bruce

Pfffft.....try firing an M16 Assault Rifle for years in service as a Lefty and wear your narrow scar just shy of your right eye with pride LOL.

It's a right-hand world for the most part when it comes to production guns. I will say that there are much more left-hand guns available then there were 40 years ago.

Best option is to get a left-hand gun. It will change your life. But I also realize it's not always an option for everybody.

I shoot a right-hand two-band Enfield simply because there are no left-hand replicas that I'm aware of. I have noticed that if I gently squeeze the cap so that it fits snugly on the nipple they tend to stay together when fired, or at least don't blow apart.

Dry firing practise with a wooden "Flint" regularly will overcome flinching.

Back when I was a kid I shot BB guns lefthanded but bows righthanded. Can't recall how I ended up shooting on the right. I ended up shooting all guns righthanded. But I learned when hunting that shooting righthanded sometimes required a major shift of gun & body which often wasn't possible. So if the deer came from the wrong side I could switch to left and shoot just as well as doing it righty. Even discovered I shot handguns as a lefty every bit as well as with the right. I used to box and was able to box orthodox or south paw. No, I don't think lefties should be euthanized but it would be nice to get "youth-a- nized".

Back