• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Right to Left handed, a quandary of Cheek rests.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coinneach

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been offered a too good to miss deal on a Perdersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken rifle in .54, my problem is I'm a Lefty and the Rifle is a Right handed configuration.
I've had ML's before that were Right handed both in Flint and Percussion, and I've no problem shooting with them, my question is can the Pedersoli RM Hawken in Right hand still be used accurately by a Lefty ?

If you can shoot a righty flint left handed you don't need to doubt yourself, you aready know you can do it. The only Q in my mind is stock fit so it's always best to be able to shoulder a rifle before purchase. Note that I say that having bought four by mail without trying them first.

I’m lefty & find right-hand guns to be more comfortable to shoot left-hand because the damn cheekrest don’t get in my way. If I throw a Hawken up to my right side I hafta bend my head plumb sideways to see the sights. But throw it up to my left shoulder & the comb rides right in the groove under my cheek bone & puts my eye right in line with the sights.

YMMV

, my question is can the Pedersoli RM Hawken in Right hand still be used accurately by a Lefty ?
All depends on the Lefty don't it(?)
You south paw folks been adapting to our right hand world for a long time,,eh?
If it's a bargain, get it. Try it, if it works keep it.
I don't know, I'm right handed, with right eye dominate and shoot cross hand just fine.
Sights are sights,, I use them on my rifles.

All depends on the Lefty don't it(?)
You south paw folks been adapting to our right hand world for a long time,,eh?
If it's a bargain, get it. Try it, if it works keep it.
I don't know, I'm right handed, with right eye dominate and shoot cross hand just fine.
Sights are sights,, I use them on my rifles.

Yeah, we Leftys have little choice but to adapt and "Leftize" whatever we use (eg with the old FN SLR 7.62 turn it over to the right to cock it).
When I trained on the M16 5.56mm Assault Rifle way back in the early 70's, I had to adapt to the extracted shells skimming the upper cheek bone to the right of my eye (small scar still there). I learned the hard way about follow through LOL.

If you can shoot a righty flint left handed you don't need to doubt yourself, you aready know you can do it. The only Q in my mind is stock fit so it's always best to be able to shoulder a rifle before purchase. Note that I say that having bought four by mail without trying them first.

My only concern is that of Canting the Barrel when sighting because of the lack of a Cheek rest. I accept that its not a problem with Rifles or Smoothbores lacking a Cheek rest but wondered about the Hawken Butt.

I am also a lefty. I can shoot right-handed unmentionables without a problem. My only concern with a muzzleloader would be sharp edges of any metal (patch box, etc.) on the right side of the stock.

I'm ambidextrous when it comes to Handguns, otherwise an unadaptable Lefty with Long arms.

Yeah, we Leftys have little choice but to adapt and "Leftize" whatever we use (eg with the old FN SLR 7.62 turn it over to the right to cock it).
When I trained on the M16 5.56mm Assault Rifle way back in the early 70's, I had to adapt to the extracted shells skimming the upper cheek bone to the right of my eye (small scar still there). I learned the hard way about follow through LOL.
That is how my M16 experience went too. After two cases landed on my neck I started shooting it right handed, still qualifying as expert. Forgot that one.

My only concern is that of Canting the Barrel when sighting because of the lack of a Cheek rest. I accept that its not a problem with Rifles or Smoothbores lacking a Cheek rest but wondered about the Hawken Butt.
Never had a problem with cant. Cheek weld a different story. My worst offending rifle is my RH Hawken (I'm LH). That brass butt plate gets a slip on recoil pad but after 3-5 shots my left cheek hurts so bad I start altering my head position. not good but in a hunting situation it's not a factor at all.

Latest posts

Back