• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Right handed shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The ole Marine

.58 Hawken,54 Renegade,54 Flintlock,50 Hawken,
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I need opinions or first hand knowledge on this question.
If a person is right hanged and has a Hawken and the hammer is on the left side of the stock, is there a problem with the right handed shooter to shoot that left handed Hawken?
All your thoughts and opinions will be highly appreciated.
Thanks to all thee as t replies.
Ray
SF……

Take a stick and put a piece of tape on the left side of the stick and pretend it's a left-handed rifle.

No go through the loading, priming, cocking and firing procedures and see if there's a problem.

Everyone is different.

Personally, I don't foresee any difficulties.

I need opinions or first hand knowledge on this question.
If a person is right hanged and has a Hawken and the hammer is on the left side of the stock, is there a problem with the right handed shooter to shoot that left handed Hawken?
All your thoughts and opinions will be highly appreciated.
Thanks to all thee as t replies.
Ray
SF……
If you are right handed, the left side hammer will be a PIA. Can you shoot it, yes. Will you like it? Probably never.
I happend to be ambidextrous to some degree, and I would not like it.
Larry

A number of people shoot wrong-handed rifles. Lots of left-handed people shoot right-handed guns. I saw a video of Herschel House shooting a recently completed right-handed flintlock off his left shoulder. A right-handed forum member recently posted about buying a left-handed Tingle rifle without realizing it, but I understood that he was happy with it.

So, it will work. Consider that side-by-side doubles have both right and left-handed locks, and people have been shooting them like that for centuries.

If your gun is a flintlock, the pan flash and the bloom of priming smoke will be more in your line of sight. If it is percussion, there will be increased risk for catching cap fragments in your face or even your eye, so wear proper eye protection, glasses with big lenses and side shields. Those “old-timey” glasses with the tiny little elliptical-shaped lenses are wholly inadequate as eye protection.

One other point is that there is more to a gun’s “handedness” than placement of the lock. Consider the cheek piece, if it has one, as well as the cast-off.

Good luck, and be safe!

Notchy Bob

This is one of those things that you really need to handle the rifle before a purchase unless you have already own n or use one like that.
I am a south paw i use right handed factory rock sparkers n caplocks. I use those models that are made on a centerline, if its a RH with cast made for shooter. It becomes a very big pia trying to sight in n so i will not buy one.

I’ve a left handed Tingle I shot a bit before my left eye dominant daughter absconded it. It was a bit more awkward to cock but no other big issues. It might take a while to become adept at it. I wouldn’t pass on a nice lefty gun if it crossed my path. Two observations. As always wear shooting glasses and two, long sleeves may help prevent cap or flash fragments from peppering your forearm. I found this out a couple of weeks ago while shooting my double 12 gauge percussion.

Some caps like RWS and those made in Italy are dangerous. They are brittle and you need a full face shield or you will be picking metsl out of your nose and chin. even with safety glasses. I will use nothing but Rem and CCI caps.

As noted, cheekpiece and/or cast may be an issue. With a Hawken (and the breech bolster mounted nipple) you should have less issue with cap flash than with a drum and nipple on other sidehammers. I shot a right handed Enfield in competition for years, but had to wear a sleeve over my right forearm or the cap flash would burn my wrist. A flash guard may also be helpful.

In terms of your ability to shoot accurately, I often shoot my lefty rifles off my right shoulder and I don't have any trouble hitting what I am aiming at. Perhaps less comfortable, but not an issue with accuracy. Leftys have been shooting right handed guns for a LONG time before the market started making them for us.

ADK Bigfoot

Back